Help me plan a Mosel long weekend

Jun 19th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Help me plan a Mosel long weekend

My husband will have a long weekend off-3 days to spend in Western Germany We will start from Duseldorf. My daughter (a Latin teacher) wants to go to Trier. I have read a lot of posts. Please give me suggestions:
1. Train or car rental
2. Places to stop
3. Places to stay on the way-for 4 adults
4. Accomodations in Trier for 4 adults

We would like a castle, good food and wine and sights that would create memories.
What is the weather like in Late July?
Jun 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM

topping for tncricket
Jun 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM

The 3 of you can travel Düsseldorf to Trier if you go on a Sat or Sun for 33 Euros total. Buy a Happy weekend ticket - gives a group of 5 unlimited travel on the regional trains. Leave D-dorf at 8:40, change trains in Cologne - a 3.5 hour trip on the regional trains. Stopover in Cologne for a meal and the Dom (cathedral) if you have time.

Once in Trier, daytrip on a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (daypass) for 27 Euros/day to Cochem, Bernkastel (includes a bus connection via Wittlich, included on pass), and Moselkern (just beyond Cochem, for a tour of Burg Eltz, the best castle tour in the region: www.burg-eltz.de . Be prepared for a 45-50 min walk to the castle each way. If you can't do this, see Cochem's Reichsburg Castle - good tour, very good falconry show there too.
Jul 7th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience going from Trier to shop at the Villeroy & Boch outlet in Mettlach. Is it worth it? Did you purchase anything?

We are thinking of doing that as we leave the area on our way back to Dusseldorf. Is is doable?
Jul 7th, 2007, 11:45 PM

Long weekend probably means you'll be going back on a Sunday? Check before if that thing will be open. It probably won't.
Jul 8th, 2007, 02:29 AM

if you write "moseying down the mosel" in search box, you will find my short report on three/four day trip to area.

we loved it.
Jul 8th, 2007, 04:05 AM

Just got back last week from Europe and one of our highlights was the Mosel valley. We stayed in Cochem for 3 nights at the Lohspeicher and loved it. Would go back in a flash. Never made it to Trier although it was on the itinerary. Cochem, Bernkastel and Beilstein are must sees as is Burg Eltz. Enjoy! You'll love it.
Miriam.
Jul 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM

For what's going on in Trier, try this website:

http://www.trier-today.de/