Beilstein, Oberammergau Itinerary Advice Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are making our first trip to Germany in 2 weeks. It will be 7 days total. We fly in and out of Frankfurt. Plan to stay 3 nights in Beilstein (or area) and day trip out from there. (One traveler really wants to include Cologne on this leg.) We then plan to go to Oberammergau for three days. Looking for advice on what we can really manage to see and do in those areas and in the time we have. Also considering going back via Rothenburg on last day to spend night near airport for late morning flight. Is this feasible?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:16 AM

We stayed in Beilstein for 3 nights in June last year. It worked very well as a center for day trips. You can see the high points of the Mosel in 3 days. It just depends on what you are interested in. Driving was easy. Burg Eltz is one of the best castles we've seen anywhere.

In Beilstein, I highly recommend Hotel Haus Lipmann in Beilstein. Lovely rooms on the river for 85 euro double. Our room overlooked the river, and I spent a good deal of time early in the morning watching the river traffic. Excellent restaurant (indoor and outdoor) with a good selection of Mosel and other wines. Or sit in the square in the back of the hotel and sip wine. Friendly and helpful staff. Don't confuse it with hotels run by other members of the Lipmann family. Not that there might be something wrong with the others, but I'm not familiar with them. Great homemade macaroons.

Beilstein is very small, so there is no night life beyond sitting around drinking your beverage of choice and chatting with folks. But it is superb as a quiet place to recharge your batteries and rest after sightseeing all day.

Tour boats do stop at the town dock if you want to take a boat tour. And the town does have its own castle ruins.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:28 AM

While this is doable, you may be trying to accomplish too much since Beilstein and Oberammergau are in opposite directions from Frankfurt.
With this is mind, I would suggest visiting Burg Eltz and possibly the castle above Cochem. We also enjoy the monastery at Maria Laach. Cologne would also be reachable since there is half-hourly train service along the Mosel connecting at Koblenz. Most places in Cologne you would probably want to visit are within walking distance of the train station.
Near Oberammergau you wouldn't want to miss Wieskirche, Ettal Abbey, and Linderhof. There are also interesting churches at Rottenbuch and at Steingaden. Of course, there are always Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau.
I have read a number of trip reports in which people write that they stayed in Rothenburg their last night. I just consider it too far away for a late morning departure from Frankfurt airport. It can be done, though, with an early start from Rothenburg. If you decide to stay in Rothenburg, be sure to take the Nightwatchman's tour at 8:00. He's a real showman.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:45 AM

We didn't stay in Oberammagau--we used Hohenschwangau as our base. But Oberammangau is a great location as well.

Depending on your touring personality, one day trip could encompass 3 of Ludwig's castles (Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau) and the church at Wies (Wieskirche). To do such a loop, would involve around 2-1/2 hours of actual driving time.

You could be at Linderhof at 9 AM (opening time April-Sept and about 25 minutes from Oberammagau). Spend a couple of hours there. Leave at 11 AM and be in Hohenschwangau by noon. Allow some lee time in case you linger at Linderhof and you could see Hohenschwangau castle at 1. Then have a late lunch. See Neuschwanstein at 3.

Leave Hohenschwangau village by 4:30 PM and arrive at the Wieskirche around 5 (about a 25-30 minute drive). From there it's only about 1/2 hour back to Oberammagau. So you could even spread the times out more than that if you wanted to.

It would be a full day, but the drives are all short and easy (and scenic). Unless you have some sort of physical problems, it would be busy but very doable.

Of course, if you are really into Linderhof, you could spend more time there and that would slip the schedule.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:07 AM

Beilstein has an enchanting air about it and makes a good stop, but as Rufus indicates, it's VERY small - great for a honeymoon - but if you plan to spend some time out of your room, you might find a larger town like Cochem (still not all that large, really) better for strolling, window-shopping, people watching, cafe-hopping, etc. (If you stay in Beilstein, you'll need a car for convenient in-and-out as bus connections to Cochem are a hassle; if you overnight in Cochem, you can tour Beilstein via boat - 1 hr each way, roughly, numerous departures, through beautiful scenery.) I was just in Cochem again 2 weeks ago, and my sis-in-law loved the place (She ranked it just behind the Schilthorn.)

Yes, do Burg Eltz! Cochem's Reichsburg Castle is good too; be sure to catch the falconry exhibition if you can (2 Euros, 3 shows daily.)

I also recommend seeing Cologne by train as the most convenient method.

I think your plan is do-able, but probably a bit tight. I would recommend using the trains for most of your route, as you're covering lots of ground, and driving will likely take more time and more out of you (and at $5/gal, your gas bill is going to balloon.) 2 German Rail flexipasses (twin) for 4 days of unlimited would run you around $300 and cover your main routes - Frankfurt-Mosel, Mosel-Oberammergau, Oberammergau-Frankfurt - and would give you one day extra, perhaps for the Cologne tour or for an overnight stop in Rothenburg. You'll get where you're going fastest this way without the hassles of navigating, parking, traffic jams, etc. If you want to use the trains for additional days to see the Mosel/Rhineland, cheap small-group daypasses (less than 30 Euros/group) are available and cover up to 5 travellers. You will definitely want a car, however, in Oberammergau, if you plan to see some of the places JoeE mentions; see about a 3-day rental with Autoeurope for that area.

Have a great trip.

Russ
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

We have rented a car for the week so we can get around easily and there are 3 of us (all adults.) Luckily I have a husband who loves driving and does not get a chance to do so very often right now. When stateside he is used to driving in on Houston freeways with terrible traffic. How long do you think it will take to get from Beilstein to Oberammgau?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:49 AM

1maroc - you have chosen 2 beautiful areas in Germany to visit. Check out "www.viamichelin.com" for driving directions. The journey will take about 6 hours- most on the Autobahn (which your husband should enjoy).
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 12:06 PM
Intrepid

Oberammergau is very quaint and enchanting but the village itself can easily be seen in less than one day. Besides the numerous woodcarver's shops you might consider looking in on the RC church which has a lot of baroque adornment. The nearby Ludwig castles, although not the most elaborate in the interior or necessarily the largest, as mentioned above, are certainly worth a visit IMO.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rufus and Co. for all the advice. It is greatly appreciated.