Search

Help me pick where to stay on Naxos!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:00 AM
C_C
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me pick where to stay on Naxos!

We are trying to decide which place to stay on Naxos for 7 nights. We are torn between an apartment on Plaka Beach:
http://www.plaka-apartments.com/
or Kavos Studios:
http://www.kavos-naxos.com/
Any advice on which would be a better location for our first time on Naxos??? Or would we rather stay in Hora? We will rent a car to explore during the day but would like to be able to walk to some restaurants for dinner.
Thanks!!!
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Makes no difference, that area is a long strip of hotels,rooms for rent, and restaurants, between Ag Prokopios and Plaka beach.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Actually, it is a very long strip of hotels between Plaka beach and Ag Prokopios and it is also going to be a long walk to tavernas in the evening.

I will admit Plaka is my favourite beach however after staying for a few nights on the beach coast and a few nights in Naxos town (Hora) I would recommend you consider staying in town and visiting the beaches on day trips.

Hora has it's own very nice beach called St George and it is lined with hotels. This gives one the ability to beach anytime but you still get the benefits of staying in town. The beach is a 10 minute walk to the harbour which is lined with tavernas, and shopping. Antiquities are also very much in evidence in town.
If you are looking for a beach holiday then by all means the Plaka area is superb, but if you are like us and you only need a couple of hours a day on the beach then being close to the activity of the town may be important.
I see you are going to rent a car. That is not necessary if you stay in town. You only need to rent one on the days when you feel like exploring the countryside. Also the local bus service is reliable and very inexpensive. If you stay at the beaches you will need a car to get into town and to get to tavernas in the evening.
In either case you will find Naxos to be a delight.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 11:54 PM
JFlorides

I would second the StGeorge beach - lovely beach and a pleasant stroll into Naxos town in the evenings

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 09:50 AM

We love staying in Plaka Beach - gorgeous beaches with a few good tavernas for lunch and or dinner. The local bus is easy enough to take into the Hora when you want an evening out. We have stayed in Plaka on three occaisons and only rented a car - or scooter - when we wanted to do some excurions. Regardless of where you stay - enjoy Naxos!!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Yea, same dilenma for us for Naxos. Think we can only take the beach in two-three hour doses at a time, maybe being close to town for activities is the way to go.....
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:27 PM

Just arrive. You'll be assailed by screaming, placard-waving hordes, all trying to sell you accommodation. It's daunting, but what I do is adopt an expression of disinterest (as if I've got my accomm booked already) and run the gauntlet of vociferous banshees. Emerging out the back of the melee, you'll always find one or two demure ladies who held back from participating in the undignified spectacle before them. These are the ones to approach. Their accomm will usually be better, and so will their manners.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:04 PM

We book our hotel in advance, (although it in not necessary in May and June) when we go to Naxos. It is quite pleasant ot walk right past the hotel hawkers and say we already have a hotel.

We spent 3 nights at Hotel Glaros on St George beach right in Naxos town and then three nights at Aggia Procopios. We loved the hotel on the beach in the town because there was so much to do. Although the beach at Procopios (as well as aggia Anna and Plaka beaches ) are superior, there isn't much to do there but sit on the beach. We have been back to Naxos 4 times and always stay at St George beach in town because we don't do more than an hour our two on the beach each day. The attractions of the town make that a better location for us.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 02:09 PM

hi all. very interested in the previous posts as I will be in Naxos in late August for days 9-12 of 15 day honeymoon (on a budget) in the Cyclades-we are looking for a hotel near town on beach and will want some adventure by this point in out trip. Anyone NOT recommend Glaros. is it sufficiently quiet and private during evening/early morning? Thanks
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 04:32 PM

We have stayed at Glaros on four trips and the last time we stayed at Glaros Studios (a couple of hundred meters away) for two weeks.
Glaros was recommended to us by our travel agent on Naxos primarily because of it's location. It is 10 meters from St George beach and all rooms have a beach view. What is special about it is how quiet it is. It is a 10 minute walk along the shore to the main port of Hora where one can have a wonderful evening of nighlife and dining but it is far enough away from the action that it is quiet in the night and the morning. Anyone who has been to the Islands will be able to attest tot eh fact that a quiet nights sleep is someting to relish during the tourist season.
Rooms are small with a double bed and a single bed, a refigerator, a balcony and air conditioned. It is not a luxury class hotel however it is a good value for money and very well priced for those on a budget. We have stayed in their delux rooms which are larger and are on the top floor where the balcony is huge but shared by three rooms.
You should be able to find some pictures of teh hotel we took under webshots.com community pictures under Naxos Greece.

It is family run, Alex will be at the front desk.

Tell him Bruce and Laurel said hi, it may earn you a beer.