Help me pick a hotel near Sorrento!

Jan 24th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Help me pick a hotel near Sorrento!

Hi everyone
I've managed to sleuth down some not-horribly expensive hotel choices for July and I wondered if you have any input.
Ideally we wanted a pool or beach, or NEAR a beach at least, although this is diffiult in our price range, and chose Sorrento because we wanted easy access to Pompeii and then to the train so we can transfer up to Rome on the third day in a timely manner. Most of the chocies are in Sorrento. However I'm SOOO tempted by one that is in Massa Lubrense (Hotel Certosa) ... it's exactly what we wanted except for the location. What can we reasonably expect as far how long it will take us to reach Pompeii, and also back to Sorrento to pick up the train to Rome? Would it be more sensible to take the train from Salerno instead to get back to Rome?
I'll include the prices we were quoted for a triple as this might be helpful for others who are looking for reasonable accommodations in Sorrento area.
Thanks for your help.
Hotel Astoria, 90 E
Casa Mazzola, 105 E
Casa Dominova, 125 E
Hotel Caravel, 140 E with 10% cash discount
Hotel Central, 120 E
Hotel del Mare (Marina Grande) 110 E for cash
Hotel Eden, 139 E
HOtel Certosa, 135 E
Hotel la Ninfa, 140E
Il Roseto B and B 120E
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Can't help you with the hotels. However, to get from Sorrento to Rome, you first take the local commuter train, the Circumvesuviana, to Naples, then switch to a regular train to Rome. Whereas from Salerno you can catch a direct--no changes--train to Rome.

IIRC, there is also a bus from Sorrento to Rome. Search the archives for Steve James' contributions.
Jan 25th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Can anybody help me???
Jan 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM

It takes about 2 hours from Rome to Naples, then about 30 mins to Sorrento from Naples. Also, you need to allow for waiting times between the 2 trains. Therefore, I would say you need to allow about 4 hours.

Regarding hotels, I stayed at a very reasonable hotel at Pompeii. The hotel is very near one of the entrances to the ancient site. It has basic but clean rooms, a good restaurant and a really nice swimming pool. The hotel is the Villa dei Misteri. AC is optional and worth paying for. We didn't bother with breakfast but ate dinner there which was good. We used Pompeii as a base to visit Sorrento because it was cheaper for the hotel.
Jan 25th, 2008, 08:40 PM

I thought I responded to your thread about Baia Di Puolo (stayed there years ago) the other day, but it must have been someone else. Massa Lubrense isn't as convenient because you have to catch a bus to Sorrento and I think they are less frequent on this route (as opposed to the Amalfi coast buses). Pompeii is about 30 minues by train from Sorrento.

What exactly is it about the Certosa that is "exactly what you wanted"?
Jan 25th, 2008, 09:34 PM

It's 20 minutes by bus between Massa Lubrense and Sorrento. To check schedules, go to www.sorrentomap.com. You'll see that several bus routes go through Massa Lubrense to many parts of the peninsula; however, in order to reach the Amalfi Coast towns, I believe you'd have to go to Sorrento first and change buses.

Massa Lubrense is a visually beautiful spot, much less filled with tourists, but I would say it's more suited for people who want to check in and relax, rather than use it as a base for touring around. There are many interesting hiking trails in the area. The rooms in the hotel have fairly plain decor (with the typical shower stall disguised as a phone booth), but the public and outdoor areas look very inviting. BTW, when I plugged in dates in July, the rate was only 115 euros.

So, it depends on what kind of visit to the area you have planned.
Feb 4th, 2008, 03:36 PM

Hotel Certosa is a bit out of the way if you don't have your own car to get to the train in Sorrento without losing too much time. I'm guessing the bus ride up from the beach can take you a good 15-20 minutes during peak travel times during the summer. It's a windy, narrow road (like many in the area) with cars parked along the road and people walking to/from the beach. And then once you get up the hill it could be another 30-45 minutes to the center of Sorrento which can also be a traffic nightmare.

If you wanted a place to stay for a few days and take leisurely trips around then maybe this location would be ok. But for 2-3 nights with goals of going to Pompeii or other areas, you may be losing several hours to travel to your destination - which wouldn't happen if you stayed in Sorrento.

Also, just so you know, once you are down at Marina del Cantone you are in a somewhat quiet, secluded place. There are 2-3 lodging options there and just about 5 places to eat (some on the very pricey side) right there. For anything else it is a hike part way up the hill to "town" of Nerano.

The beach there is OK. The water can be very clear blue, the rocky beach can take some getting used to. I believe if you are a guest at Certosa they have their own area for their lounge chairs. Otherwise you have to resort putting a towel on the rocks (if you can get that much space) or paying for space elsewhere on the beach.

If you have other questions, post again!
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM

Maybe I have a good suggestion for you, since I understood which are your needs.
Near Sorrento and close enough to Pompei, there is an hamlet of Vico Equense named Seiano.
Well, in Seiano there is the Grand Hotel Angiolieri, a new five stars hotel with a very good restaurant.
Easy to go by car and by train, also.
Even it is a five stars hotel I think that prices are reasonable.
Anyway, look at its website: www.grandhotelangiolieri.it .

Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo
Feb 5th, 2008, 06:32 AM

The Angiolieri in Seiano looks lovely, but its rate is 270 euros per night in July which would seem to be double Skoop2's budget.
Feb 5th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good input. I am leaning toward Il Roseto-insead of doing a "beach" day it seems the better option would be to do a "Boat" day. I would love to rent a little boat or take a tour along the coast that would focus on swimming. The ruins of Pollio Felice look very nice for snorkeling around, as do the baths of Queen Giovanna. Since we are going cheaper on hotels I would not mind splurging a bit on a boat or tour. Maybe someone has some input on this? I will also post a separate query.
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM

I'd email Il Rosetto B&B. Their website mentions "private excursions organization."