King Tut Exhibit Questions

Feb 4th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

King Tut Exhibit Questions

I will be in London in July and am wondering about the King Tut exhibit at O2 venue. We had planned to spend one day exploring the British Musem and I'm trying to decide is we should try to combine these 2? If you've seen the Tut exhibit, how long did it take to see? What was your opinion of the exhibit? We'd be taking the tube from South Kensington and I believe we should allow about a half hour to reach the North Greenwich tube stop. Is it much of a walk to the actual exhibit from the tube? I wish I had the luxury to devote a day apiece to these 2, but unfortunately time constraints will force us to do both on the same day! My feeling is that our time might be better spent just concentrating on the British Museum, but my DH really wants to see the Tut exhibit. Would greatly appreciate your opinions and assistance!
Feb 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM

I was in London at the time of the opening and what I heard was that the content of the exhibition was not what visitors expected, as the major piece was one of the vessels for the Pharao's organs, and not the main coffins, etc. I think you should check first
Feb 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM

I don't know about the London King Tut exhibit but I saw it in Ft. Lauderdale. It's true that most of the big items were not showcased but I was thoroughly amazed by what was brought on tour. The vivid colors and the intricate details on everything was unbelievable, particulary considering how old the items are. Some of the pieces looked like they were decorated yesterday. I spent about half a day touring the exhibit. I'd recommend it.
Feb 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM

In November we went to both the King Tut exhibit and the Chinese Terracotta exhibit at the British Museum. We were more impressed with the Chinese exhibit.

The King Tut exhibit was interesting. One problem we had was all the school groups in our time slot. Also, the exhibit was very hot after the cold day outside.

We enjoyed the Terracotta army much more. I'm sorry you won't be able to see it but he Hadrian exhibit should be good.
Feb 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM

I saw the Tut exhibit in Philadelphia. I enjoyed it but like many, was disappointed that some of the big pieces weren't included. It also focused heavily on Tut's ancestors and not just him.

It took me, I believe, about two hours to see the entire exhibit. This was with your standard walk through with a few long stops for anything that I wanted to concentrate on. I spent more time in the last room where some of the pieces he was buried with were displayed.
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Well, now I'm excited for Hadrian. It looks like we will be in the UK this summer, finishing up in London, so I may try to get some tickets.