Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me make transfer from Heathrow to Gatwick!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm flying from Istanbul to Heathrow, landing at 11 a.m. My plane to the U.S. leaves from Gatwick at 2:15 p.m. that same day. Can I make it in only 3 hours? If so, what are some helpful hints? Thanks!
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM

Here's a helpful website. I think you probably aren't going to make your connection to the U.S. since it takes at least an hour to get to Gatwick if you take an expensive cab. It's much more by public transport.

Can you get an earlier flight from Istanbul?

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/...k_transfer.htm
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Highly unlikely you'd make the connection. You need to clear immigration at LHR, take your bags through the green line, get to the bus station or train station (for the HEX) make the journey through/around central London (around on the bus or taxi/car service, through if HEX + Gatwick train, which will also require a taxi transfer between the train termini) and still get to LGW at least 1 1/2 hrs before the flight time so you can check bags and go through security etc. That means arriving at LGW by 12:30-12:45, leaving 1.5 hours for all the above. I don't think so. Not technically impossible, but awfully risky.

I assume you're on the 8:55 LHR-IST British Airways flight. Last time I rode it, it was almost an hour late landing, then we had to hang around the apron waiting for BAA to assign us a gate. In your case, such a delay would be curtains.

I would take the 5:30 flight the previous evening (which has the advantage of being a widebody 767) instead, sleep in a cheap LHR hotel using Priceline, then do the transfer to Gatwick in the morning when you don't have to panic.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:48 AM

Typo - sorry. I meant the 8:55 <i>IST-LHR</i> flight.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
your chances? -- slim and absolutely none. You should definitetly fly into London the evening before.

One thing - re MikeT's comment &quot;<i>it takes at least an hour to get to Gatwick if you take an expensive cab. It's much more by public transport</i>&quot; -- the cab and the direct airport coach drive on exactly the same route and will take just about the same time. Only additional will be waiting the few minutes til the next scheduled coach.

You should have a <u>minumum</u> of 4-5 hours to make this connection. And flying in from Turkey I might count onm even a bit longer on the ground at LHR - so I wouldn't be comfortable w/ less than about 5.5 hours.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM

We took well over an hour to get through the immigration process at Heathrow last week. And that was after landing 30 minutes late because we had to circle around the airport waiting for our turn to land.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:45 AM

Providing the plane lands on time or early, you may have a chance, but a v.slim one. The only direct route is by road. The busses are too slow as you have to walk to te statino, wait for the next one, wait for everyone else etc. etc. so you will need a taxi. By car the journey could take only 45 minutes at the legal speed limit. I would not risk it.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's comments--you're saying what I suspected! However, for a variety of reasons I can't change the flights. I'm flying AA from Istanbul to New Orleans, and I've received conflicting information about the luggage. Will I have to pick up my luggage at Heathrow and take it on to Gatwick, or will it be checked through? If it is, I think I can make it. If not, I'm even considering shipping my luggage--has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks again for all of your help.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:21 AM

Answered in the other thread - no, you have to manage your own bags.

Is it one ticket (i.e. both segments issued by AA?) If so, then you're &quot;protected&quot; for a missed connection - if AA said it was doable and it's not (and - it isn't -) then AA will be responsible to put you on the next available flight. Make CAREFUL notes of the time when the BA plane actually takes off from IST, when you land at LHR, when you're on the street with your luggage at LHR, and when you arrive at the AA checkin at LGW.

I can't imagine there isn't a LHR departure that can get you to MSY in roughly the same time frame as via Gatwick. For instance, there's a 2:30 flight to Chicago that would connect to MSY getting you in an hour later than if you make the Gatwick shuffle, and roughly a day earlier than if you miss the LGW flight. I'd phone AA pronto.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM

&quot;One thing - re MikeT's comment &quot;it takes at least an hour to get to Gatwick if you take an expensive cab. It's much more by public transport&quot; -- the cab and the direct airport coach drive on exactly the same route and will take just about the same time.&quot;

I've done it and it seemed less, but you are probably right.