Stansted to Gatwick Transfer

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Stansted to Gatwick Transfer

Trip planning. How much time to allow for transfer between London Stansted and Gatwick? Arriving Stansted from Berlin at 6:55AM Monday morning. Departing for the US from Gatwick at 11:55AM. Means customs at Stansted, and then security at Gatwick for an international flight. Five hours enough time? There is another option that arrives at Heathrow at 8:40AM. Better? My gut tells me that either option is not good. Appreciate your inputs.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:46 PM

National Express has this down as an approximately 3-hour ride between the two airports. In my experience, they are always running late and particularly so during Monday morning rush hour. If you are fortunate enough to catch the 7:40 AM National Express, you'll arrive by 10:30 AM if very lucky, and then you have to go through check-in and security and so no -there is not enough time except if quite lucky.

Heathrow arrival is not a good idea either if you work it out mathematically, and your odds of delay are even worse at Heathrow.

Best to arrive the night before.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Maybe you could do the transfer in less than 3 hours some other way (Stansted Express + tube + Gatwick or some other train, or private driver), but I still would not chance it. The one word I associate with London transport at rush hour is - delay.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Will. Kinda what I thought looking at the itinerary laid out for me. I checked the National Express site and looked at the travel times. Thought, Hmmmm. I wonder.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 02:34 PM

WillTravel has spelled out your problem pretty well. Any mode of transport on a Monday a.m. will probably take 3+ hours w/o even considering luggage/customs/security.

If anything, your LHR option is even worse. It's just over 3 hours and the bus ride alone will easily take 70-80 minutes of that -- probably more because it is a Monday morning. When you add baggage colection/customs/immigration at LHR, security/check-in at LGW, plus taxi/gate time, long walks from gate to arrivals, waiting for bus etc, you would be lucky to make it in 4 hours.

it seems like you need to look for other options - connecting through some other European gateway, or staying overnight in London, or????
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 09:14 AM

You do have the option of a car and driver who would meet you in the arrivals terminal and take you and your luggage to Gatwick.
From Stansted it would be about £110.00 and from Heathrow about £70.00 for car big enough for four and some luggage.
Google London Airport Transfers for some quotes.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 09:56 AM

A car service might be an option from Stansted - but obviously very expensive.

But I don't think a car service would work for LHR > LGW. You will be on the ground at LHR probably 45-60 minutes (from touchdown) before you could meet up w/ the driver. Then you need 1 1/2 hours minimum advance checkin for transatlantic at LGW. Just doesn't leave enough time for the drive.