Help me decide between these 3 apts.

Dec 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Help me decide between these 3 apts.

This forum has been very helpful (particularly the Paris apartment thread), now I need help deciding! I am down to three apartments from which to choose. I want to make the decision by end of this week. Some quick background: my husband and I will be spending a month long sabbattical in Paris with our 2 year old son this February. We want an easy location that is family friendly and not particularly touristy. Somewhere we can spend some quality time wandering and exploring. We've been to Paris a few times already.

One quick question is that the aparment through Paris Attitude says it does not include utilities. Anyone have experience in how much these might run? The other two apts. are inclusive of utility costs. Thanks in advance for any sage advice.

http://www.homerentalconnections.com...&id=68&code=20

http://www.parisattitude.com/apartme...umProduit=3795

http://www.homerentalconnections.com...&id=55&code=12

Dec 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM

I like door # 1.
Dec 10th, 2008, 05:40 PM

I agree, the first one looks better. I just couldn't live with black furniture for a month. And it doesn't look very comfortable.
Dec 10th, 2008, 09:25 PM

I vote for Door #1-open spaciousness and light. Happy Travels!
Dec 11th, 2008, 04:22 AM

Actually they all look good to me.

I just came back from a stay in the Batignolles neighborhood, where the third apartment is located. This is a very family friendly neighborhood, few tourists, lots and lots of young French families. A nice park at Square des Batignolles, with playgrounds and ducks and lots of toddlers.

Two terrific bakeries a block or two from that apartment, and an organic market two blocks away on Saturdays. Very convenient for shops, lots of neighborhood restaurants and cafes.
Dec 11th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Nikki-Just read your fantastic trip report. Great reading. I think we may be leaning towards staying in the 17th. Seems like it might be just the ticket for the kind of adventure we are looking to have. Thanks again for the great report and giving your insight on the neighborhood.
Dec 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM

I think I like the one in Batignolles but that street is definitely not attractive. But, maybe it doesn't matter once you are inside. The black sofa place looks okay if you don't have to live there. Looks like the kind of thing that is supposed to look good but is not a livable place. Also, if I recall, that is the one without any real closet. So you hang clothes over the bureau and they cannot be long.

I don't know about all utilities, but I've paid electricity and it didn't amount to much, maybe 10 euro a week. That was in the summer though in a place without AC, so was only some lights and TV at night a little. I've never paid gas so don't know what that runs in France or if you'd have gas heat. If so, I'm sure that can be a lot if it is like in the US. I pay about 200-300 a month for gas in the winter in my home. It seems more common for vacation rental apts. to exclude electricity than all utilities.
Dec 11th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Of all of them, I like the third the best. I love the wood floors and the sofa and chairs look comfortable.

I don't like all the black furniture in the second apartment, and what's up with the horse outline rug? It looks like a horse died in the living room and the police did a chalk outline of him.

Johanna
Dec 11th, 2008, 09:35 AM

We rented through Home Rental Connections in October and they were great! We had the Braque apartment and it had everything we needed (except face cloths, for some reason!)

I also really like apartment #1 and I like the neighborhood too. We were closer to Notre Dame but ventured in the area near rue Grenata... and there is lots to do.

I envy you, wish I could go for a month too!
Dec 11th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Johanna-The horse rug comment cracks me up! It is a bit odd, but my 2 year old might find it fascniating

Ruby--Glad to hear the good review for Home Rental Connections. They've been very responsive so far.

I really like the first place too on Grenata, my only hesitation, that I did not realize initially is that the second bedroom is the entrance to the apt. Eventhough it has sliding doors to keep it separate. This is where my son would sleep so unfortunatley if my husband or I wanted to go out while he naps we would be going back and forth through his room. So I think I have to eliminate it.

I love the idea of being on a pedestraian street (black furniture place), not overly fond of the black furniture either, but I guess nothing will show if my son spills his sippy cup. That one also has a bath tub which would be nice. Decisions, decisions...