Help me convince my husband to stay at the Hotel de Russie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has always stayed at the Hotel Hassler in Rome. We are going next week and I am trying to convinve him to try the Hotel de Russie. I need some ammunition. He does like luxury and feels comfortable with a "known quanity" Thanks for any ideas.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:38 AM

You can tell him that the Hassler has seen better days. We spent part of our honeymoon at the Hassler. It was fine, but we've stayed in more luxurious and better serviced hotels. Still, being the romantics that we are, we went back for our fifth wedding anniversary. The room and public areas were dingier and the staff not any more accomodating. Not learning our lesson, we returned for our tenth anniversary. This time, the rooms still weren't refurbished and the air conditioner was broken for several days and nights at the end of July. No apology from the management and it was almost impossible to sleep from the heat and the noise coming from the Spanish Steps at night. Now in between these big anniversary trips, we stayed at several other hotels including the St. Regis and de Russie. Both are much nicer than the Hassler and where we choose to stay now when we want a five star hotel in Rome. So even though we spent our honeymoon there and gave it the benefit of the doubt for two other anniversary trips, I wouldn't stay there again.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:48 AM

A couple of years ago we walked into the Hassler for a look around the public rooms.

I thought they looked more than just a little "tired" but I have no idea what the actual rooms were like.

There was a recent thread about the Hassler and a lot of people like the place. Of course, there was the usual "lecture" by someone about how Americans "don't understand" how luxury hotels work and all the usual BS about how you are supposed to conduct yourself in such a place.

The Hassler didn't get to be where it is by providing lousy service and poor accommodations unless those who stayed were overcome with just the thought of staying in such a place.

Have your husband look at the reviews on TripAdvisor. If he buys into the notion that a place can offer second-rate accommodations and service and you should be happy staying there anyway, well...that IS a problem.

If he INSISTS on stgaying there then I suggest that YOU insist that nothing but a room at the front of the building WITH a view of the Spanish Steps is the absolute minimum that YOU will accept.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Why either ?
The Minerva is a better location and very nice.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:38 AM

Ditto what Bob said
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:49 AM

I've stayed at the Hassler. Didn't stay at De Russie, but had dinner there, and it was wonderful; the best dining experience ever in Rome for me. Beautiful garden, wonderful food. I haven't seen the rooms, but I much preferred the public rooms of De Russie to the Hassler.
Dinner at the Hassler's rooftop restaurant has the bonus of the view, but was rather stuffy. As is the hotel. Unless they have done a thorough refurbishment in the years since I was there, I would not stay at the Hassler.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:09 AM

In exactly the same neighbourhood very close to de Russie (which I think is beautiful) what about this alternative:
Hotel Valadier 4star with a very special history: first a convent , then a brothel and then from the fifties on a hotel...
It is more like a "bonbonnière" rooms are not very big but elegant and (coming from its past) they have old mirrors on the ceiling over the beds.... I mean: can this convince a husband??
They have a italian/english site.

good luck

ivee
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:16 AM

4lobsters:
did you find your London hotel of your other post?
ivee
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Now THAT sounds like a fun place to stay!!!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Yeah it really is..., we got the address from a Roman friend and have been there several times, but for someone who wants real big rooms perhaps it wouldnt do.. or have a suite. I believe their site is just hotelvaladier.
ivee
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. Marriage is all about compromise so... We are booked in the Hotel de Russie (my choice) and then going back to the Berkeley(his choice)in London!! My son just weighed in with a hotel he stayed at in Rome: Aleph Boscolo Hotel!!?? Now on to restaurants.