Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

St Regis or Hassler for first trip--honeymoon in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Ladia

We are going to Rome for our honeymoon. It is our first trip there. Would you recommend the Hassler or the St. Regis? This is a very special trip and we want it to be perfect. We will be spending a little bit of time in our room as it is our honeymoon, but of course sight seeing is important to us as well. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 10:42 AM
beth

We stayed at the intercontinental hotel de ville for our honeymoon. It's next to the Hassler; has lovely rooms and a beautiful garden. I think it is somewhat less expensive than the Hasslwer. I highly recommend it.<BR>Have a great time.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Nancy

The Hassler has not been redone for some time, as my travel agent put it &quot;has been resting on its laurels&quot; for too long. I would recommend the HOtel del Russie, also in the Spanish Steps area. A beautiful 5 star hotel wiht a courtyard, rare and quiet for Rome. It is in a great location a shor walk from the Spanish Steps. Check the rants and raves on this site.<BR><BR>Anoyther hotel to consider is the HOtel Eden, although it has gotten some bad reviews on this site.<BR><BR>I have not heard good things about the St Regis, and have been told that the rooms and decor are actually not up to what is typical for other St. Regis'.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Grinisa

We stayed at the Hassler on our honeymoon 12 years ago and then on our fifth and tenth anniversaries. We were more and more disappointed each time. It's rooms are small and do need a refurbishing and the staff is distant and uncaring. On our last visit, the airconditioning broke down for three days during a sweltering heat wave at the end of July. No apologies offered by the management. We stayed at the St. Regis last November. Loved it. Gorgeous. The rooms were some of the most elegant and exquisite I've ever stayed in and we have stayed in many St. Regis properties all over the world. Staff very friendly and helpful and as we had our two small daughters with us at the time, they bent over backwards to make them welcome. The only drawbacks to the St. Regis is the slightly out of the way location although it is right across from a metro stop and several bus lines, and lack of views. The Eden's rooms are hit and miss. The Russie is lovely but not all rooms have views either.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Teresa

Well, I've stayed in both and I vote for the St. Regis. Definitely beautiful.<BR>I don't know how Nancy could hear bad things about the St Regis, before I went there I read the reviews in Fodors and were excellent. After I stayed there I could only agree. The rooms , service, everything is great about that hotel. You'll certainly have a wonderful honeymoon there.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Rex

I don't know that you want or need a third suggestion, bu tin this price range, I would suggest you check out the Minerve because I would consider it a better location than the St Regis. I have never actually stayed at the Minerve nor the St Regis (but I have eaten at both) - - but I think that both are on a similar level, for a luxurious stay.<BR><BR>Whatever your decision, congratulations on your new life in marriage...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>