Reload this Page >

Help: 'Manufactory'!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:27 AM
jenviolin

I'm translating a tourist brochure about Delftware and would be grateful for your opinions on the word 'manufactory'. One of the delftware producers here in Delft, the Netherlands, wants to use 'manufactory' to describe their business, but I think that tourists won't think it's a real word (which it is, but it sounds archaic). 'Factory' sounds too industrial, and they want to stress the fact that the Delftware is handmade. What would you think if you read "Royal Dutch Delftware Manufactory"? THANKS for your help!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:39 AM
Daniel

Janet Gleeson use the word factory in her book about the history of Porzellan-Manufaktur Meissen ("The Arcanum").

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:40 AM
xx

It sounds very awkward to me. Could you use producer's or Craftsman or crafter's of RDD

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:31 AM
Julie

I agree. I certainly wouldn't use 'manufactory'. <BR><BR>Why not just RDD Pottery?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:59 AM
whats

I guess they like "manu-factory" because it literally means "hand-makery". <BR>"Craftsmen" (in plural) or "Crafters" sounds good to me. But I would not know what RDD means.<BR>How about "Atelier"? Or "Masters"?<BR>Good luck. It's not easy to find a word that has the right meaning in every english speaking culture.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:31 PM
jenviolin

Thanks for your comments! How about in British or Australian English - does 'manufactory' sound right to you blokes & sheilas?

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:27 AM
Maggie

I would have thought "hand produced" would be a good description.<BR>Definately not Manufactory!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:28 AM
Maggie

Sorry, I should have said<BR>"Hand produced Royal Dutch Delftware"<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:09 AM
Ruth

I agree with Maggie - manufactory doesn't sound any more "hand-made" than factory - just an archaeic form of factory.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:15 AM
Sandy

For a tourist brochure? Hand-crafted.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:48 AM
jenviolin

Thanks, everybody! Remember, it has to be a noun describing a place or process, so 'hand-crafted' is out, as is 'craftsmen'. What do you call a place where handmade products are professionally produced? What do they call the glass-producing places in Murano? Are they 'factories'?

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:09 AM
Sandy

okay--<BR>atelier (defined as an artist's or designer's studio or workroom) or workshop.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:12 AM
Patrick

If I read "factory" I might still picture it being handmade there. But the word "manufactory" sounds more mechanical, or assembly line -- like it would be less handmade.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:36 AM
joan

But it sounds like Manufactory is part of the proper name of the company. If so, how can you not use the full correct company name? You could still describe the product as "hand-made" or "hand-crafted".

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:25 AM
Ruth

I think studio could sound the right note for (British) English speakers. "Studio pottery" is a fairly well known concept of hand-made or decorated ceramics made in a traditional manner, often associated with a particular designer or school.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:03 AM
Bel

Manufactory, while a real and accurate word, is too impersonal, and seemingly none of the other options are appropriate. I would probably go with "workshop" or "foundry." Either sounds more "hands-on" than manufactory.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:19 AM
jenviolin

Thanks a million! You've all given me enough ammunition to convince them to drop 'Manufactory'. I'll have to see if they accept something other than 'factory'. Since it's a pretty big place, studio, atelier and workshop may not sound large enough. Anyway you all were a big help!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:52 AM
D.B.

GmbH (goods made by hand).<BR><BR>"Royal Dutch Delftware Works"<BR><BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:23 PM
whats

<BR>&gt;&gt;Royal Dutch Delftware Works&gt;&gt;<BR>Good choice DB! I think that's the winner. Sounds impressive and serious, without implying machines.<BR>Jenviolin: I hope your Dutch friends will agree. Het klinkt ontzettend goed.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Sheila

This has been bugging me for days.<BR><BR>I finally came up with "Hand Crafted Royal Dutch Delftware"<BR><BR>for the description. I still can't come up with anything for the buidling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -