Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux & Lugano

May 3rd, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Hello, Will be flying into Zurich from the US spending 8 days and would like to go to to following areas by train Lucerne, Interlaken, Montreux and Lugano. Will spend 2 nights in each area. Need help mapping out the route and should we buy a certain train ticket to be cost effective? Any hotel suggestions can spend $200/night US. Any assistance would be appreciated. Also any must sees? Places to eat, etc. Thank you so very much. I look forward to all replies.
May 3rd, 2004, 06:36 AM

Sorry, can't help with the Hotels and Restaurants, but I can list some more well known tourist sites that may help your planning a little more.

In Lucerne, I suggest the Lion Monument in the NE of the Old Town, The Chapel Bridge and the city walls.

In Interlaken, most tourists use the town as a base to go up the mountains, either to towns such as Wengen, Grindenwald, or Lauterbrunnen or to the top of Jungfrau which I believe, if I am not mistaken, the highest mountain in Switzerland that one can get to with public transportation. However Interlaken is a common theme is this forum and I know some other people are more famaliar with the area than I.

Near Montreaux, there is a lake castle named Chillon that many find interesting.

In Lugano, I know very little of the sites. I just love the land, lake, climate and Italian atmosphere.

As for the train. I have heard of a Swiss Flexi Pass that may be of some use to you. There is a Golden Line Pass train that goes from Lucerne to Interlaken and then on to Montreaux. If you do take a train from Lucerne to Interlaken, I suggest when facing forward, to sit on the right side of the train(better views). After about the first 15 minutes outside of Luzern, almost all nice views are on the side of the train. Keep those seats even after Meiringen when the train changes direction.

Overall, those towns you mention should give you a well rounded idea of Switzerland.

Sorry, I can't help with Hotels and eating.

May 3rd, 2004, 07:22 AM
Singletail

You may be better off simply buying point to point tickets (if you are just using the train to get from one place to another) rather than getting a pass. If you aren't sure of this you can use www.railsaver.com and input the itinerary to compare the two options.

The more or less "natural" or geographic progression for this trip would seem to be Lucern, Interlaken, Montreux, and then Lugano (moving basically from north to south[east]}

For spectacular views above Montreux you can travel by rack railway up to Rochers de Naye (you get the train from the Montreux rail station but at the MOB station which is at the back end of the main station. A walk along the lake promenade in Montreux can be nice and you can easily walk all the way to Chillon if you wish.

Someone will undoubtedly tell you more about the area around Interlaken...if nothing else the Lauterbrunnen Valley has spectacular scenery not to mention the towns up above.

Enjoy your stay.

May 3rd, 2004, 09:17 AM

Our favorite hotel in Interlaken is Hotel Bernerhof - nice size rooms, clean, good breakfast, close to train, etc. Price is around $200/night. There are several great restaurants - our all time favorite is the Shuh (leave room for dessert & buy a few truffles for later) with the Chalet a close second. We had good pizza at Piz Paz one night. The grocery store, Migros, also had a nice and economical breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet.

Enjoy your trip.

May 3rd, 2004, 09:31 AM

In Montreux, we loved staying at the Hotel Masson. It's not right in the middle of Montreux, but in Veytaux (I believe), which is walking distance to Chateau de Chillon. I think it's in your price range. Their website is www.hotelmasson.ch. Request a room with a garden/lake view. The views are stunning! They also serve a lovely breakfast, included in the price.

In Lugano, be sure to take a lakeboat ride to Morcote and/or Gandria and explore the little lakeside villages.

Have a wonderful trip.

Susan
May 3rd, 2004, 09:55 AM

Just for the record, the highest peak in Switzerland is Dufour peak on Monte Rosa Massif in Zermatt region, still lower than Mt Blanc though.

Jungfrau Railways does say
"Jungfraujoch Station is the highest railway station in Europe.
May 4th, 2004, 12:19 PM

We were in 2 of your cities last May and enjoyed the Hotel Parco Pardiso in Paradiso (right next to Lugano). It was on the hillside with a huge balcony with a view of the lake and town very close to the San Salvatore Funicular. The only downside was the uphill walk after dinner but the view was worth the walk. In Lucerne we stayed at the Des Balances. We had a river view room on the top floor which had a large balcony. The hotel is directly across from the Jesuit Church with a view of the Chapel Bridge, the lake and the mountains. The restaurant at the Balances was great and a wonderful breakfast was included. We had dinner there one night and wished we stayed again the next night. We paid less than $200 US per night for each room through the Best Western website. Both hotels are in the group. Enjoy your trip.
May 4th, 2004, 04:09 PM

When you calculate the train costs to decide pass vs. point-to-point, keep in mind that the Swiss Saver Pass (2 persons travelling together) includes discounts on some museums (i.e., Transportation Museum in Lucerne, a must) and many city transportation services (buses, ferries, funiculars, etc.). We did a similar itinerary to yours (plus Lausanne, Berne) and found the Saver Pass to be cheaper overall.