Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Left bank or Right Bank in Paris??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, all,
My husband & I will be in Paris for 4 nights in July. I'm researching 3 star hotels, and don't know the best area to stay in. We want to see the gardens, museums and famous sights--and of course the Champs! We'd like to be able to walk as much as possible, so need to be in convenient location.
Should it be Rive Droit or Rive Gauche for us? Any specific hotel recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
One more thing. We are going to Florence from Paris. Should we fly or take the train? We only have 2 nights in Florence, then we'll take the train to Venice...
thanks
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:10 PM

LEFT BANK
Hotel Verneuil in
St Germain area!
GREAT location, just across river from Louvre. Very close to D'Orsay. Beautiful walk to Champs
Fun/happening walk to Luxembourg Gardens.

Have fun!!!
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Brenda,
I can't wait! I will definitely check out that hotel. Do you have any recommendations on specific rooms I should request?
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

I went to the website and it looks beautiful! Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

I'd still love any other suggestions if anyone else has any thoughts...
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM

We stayed in room 204, very small but very clean great bathroom and wonderfully large window overlooking the quite street. If you are interested in this hotel do a search for it on this site. There was someone who has posted about it several times and given some details on several of the rooms. I wanted clean, quite, with awesome location and I got all three! Also beautifully decorated in classic Fench style.

two others recommended to me where:
Hotel Universite
Hotel St Germain des Pres

We passed them both and both looked sooo cute! I recall thinking Hotel Seine looked nice as well, and all in great locals!

~Brenda
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM

cybertraveler, regarding the Verneuil ask for room #402, a deluxe double, nice sized room for Paris, and a canopied bed. Any room ending in '02' is a deluxe double. If you ask for #502 it's on the top floor with two large windows. Room #302, don't request it as it's not as nice as #402 and it's also not as roomy in my opinion. The location is great especially if you want to go to the Musee d' Orsay. Beat the crowds and go around opening time.
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for such great tips! I'm off to search...
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:18 PM

cybertraveler, btw, my relative stayed in room 402, I stayed in 401 (very small std. double) last year February. I stayed in 302 in Dec./Jan. It's the night manager, Joseph, who informed me of 502. He says that room and 402 are the staff's favorite rooms. The staff are pretty friendly if you want to chat a bit.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Hi,

I'm always on the look out for different hotels in Paris. Looked at the web-site for Hotel Verneuil and the hotel sounds lovely. However, if we got one of the rooms with all the busy red wallcovering, it would make me nuts!

Old May 15th, 2005, 09:00 AM

cybertravel,

Regarding travel to Florence. I recently researched all the options for Florence-Paris and came up with something you may want to consider.

I didn't like any of the Florence options, but found an airline with good flight times between Paris and Venice.

On weekdays, they have 2 flights from Paris-Orly:
9:40, arrive Venice 11:20
or
7:35pm, arrive Venice 9:20pm
Right now the July flights are priced at .01 euro...36 euro each after adding taxes, etc. Like other low cost airlines, you have to consider the baggage limits.

You might want to consider this airline and head to Venice, then Florence.

http://web1.myair.com/docs/cust/en/index.shtml
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Happybunny, I know what you mean. But I'd be ok with the red wallpaper compared with the toile and florals at the Danube. Those made me ill. I decided after that no more toile and floral rooms for me. And this is only my opinion.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

JeanneB,
Thanks for the suggestions on air flights; unfortunately, I'm locked in to the Paris-Florence connection, as my flight home originates in Venice.

happybunny,
I know what you mean, but how can I tactfully request a "quietly decorated" room? Maybe I'll wear an eye mask when I go to bed...
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Come to think of it the night manager mentioned that the Verneuil's owner constantly changes the rooms' decor. So if you see that blinding red room on the website today, it may be a different color by the time you arrive. I think you should let them know what kind of room you like.