Help! JanetColeparis apartments??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to rent an apartment from someone for whom I cannot find any reviews! http://janetcoleparis.com/ Does offering Paypal lend credibility to an agency?

This trip came up suddenly for May and I have been chasing apartments without much success so I'm kind of desperate. Would insurance help (as in pay for a hotel) in the event this is not legitimate?

This is the unit:
http://janetcoleparis.com/size/studi...-martin-white/
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM

paypal does not lend credibility, just ease in paying.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM

Insurance will only help you AFTER the fact; that is, once you file a claim and hopefully get your money back. What it won't do is find you a place to sleep the day you arrive and find that the apt doesn't exist etc.

Why this one, can't you find another that has reviews etc?

Try: http://www.vrbo.com/371220
or
http://www.vrbo.com/339804

I stayed in the second one, will stay in the first one in October. Great owner,Sylvain and he is easy to work with and the price and location for both are excellent.

Tell him Deb from Albuquerque sent you, and he will hold it for you right away. Then you can send a check in US dollars as deposit that he holds as security till you leave.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM

The apartment looks lovely, but the price is really high for a one bedroom place, IMHO. The lack of reviews would put me off, too.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:36 PM

The same apartment is listed for about half the price at http://www.rentparis.com/en/apt-51-r...010-paris.html
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:02 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...de_France.html
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:21 PM

I just read the above tripadvisor thread, and at the last post, the RentParis guy (I forget his name) does list JanetColeparis, with the caveat that the price will be higher there than at RentParis.

We have used RentParis a few times. No hand holding. Nothing warm and fuzzy nor even very welcoming. If you follow all their directions, you should be just fine.

On the plus side, two decent apartments at good prices, and very quick response to a plumbing problem

At one place, we did find a lock on the little wooden box covering the thermostat, but with a tiny screwdriver, the box was easily dismantled.

I don't think RentParis is a ripoff, and really their prices are good. You don't get a lot, but you get what you pay for. Just don't ask them for a lot, either. Reassurances are not their strong suit. Nor are lengthy and careful explanations. You get a kind of "don't bother me" vibe, but it you can deal with that, IME, you also get a good apartment at a very good price.

I once got a reply email from veniceapartments.org that said, in response to my carefully written and bulleted list of questions, "Too many questions."

We stayed in their cheap apartment and had a good time.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Heeding all your warnings I searched further and found a place from A La Carte Paris. A little more than we'd like to pay but I feel so much safer that they take credit cards.

Thank you Fodorites for making me rethink my decision!!

I'm going to Paris! Soon!
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 10:35 AM

<i>I feel so much safer that they take credit cards. </i>
Why do you feel safer using a credit card?
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Booking the apartment for this trip has taken the joy out of planning. Apparently A La Carte Paris is not a full service rental agency. They matched us up with an apartment and as soon as we paid (the entire amount for our six-week-out visit) they exited from the picture and we heard from the owner. The owner wants a security deposit of 400e cash that was not mentioned in the agreement.

Last year dealing with Guest Apartments was so seamless. Upon arrival they placed a hold on our credit card for a deposit.

So I've asked both the owner and ALCP to consider the same and am waiting to hear.

Am I being unreasonable? Would others put up that much cash to someone you've never met?
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM

The security deposit should have been mentioned in the original posting, but it's not an unusual amount to ask for.

I'm curious as to why you didn't consider the two apts that DebitNM suggested? Both are an excellent value and location (I've now bookmarked them--thanks!).
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:44 AM

MelJ - I should have also indicated that aside from the check sent in US dollars for security deposit, you don't pay any cash upfront until you arrive at apt. Then you pay in cash - euros - for the rent. And when you leave, assuming the apt is in good shape, you get your original check back. Oh ,there is no cleaning fee either!
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM

There are several agencies around that basically set you up with the owner, I think A La Carte explains that on the website, it seemed obvious to me that's what they were. In fact, right on the front page they say owners can sign up with them, so it seems clear. I dealt with an agency like that and they didn't just disappear (lodgis.fr), they handled all the contracts, had options for me to buy insurance and did follow-up surveys and responded to my comments which were fairly minor, actually (as to a problem I had). It is true they exited in one sense when the deal was done, no reason they shouldn't (although being a local agency, I knew exactly where they were located if some problem had come up, I would have gone there).

These kind of agencies tend to have a much wider variety of places and at cheaper prices because they deal with locals who want to rent their apt out for such purposes. Full-fledged agencies have a much more limited inventory, but one just has to look around and decide what they want for service. Lodgis did make the terms clear in the contract, however (as to deposits) and one should always ask about that before signing anything.

I agree that a total scam artist probably would not accept credit cards, if that's why one might feel safer. I would guess that's true for Paypal, also (don't they take credit cards, anyway?). But if the idea is that one can get a refund on a credit card if the place doesn't exist, there are time limits on that, I believe, which could make that not possible. Most people don't have that problem, more minor issues that are just complaints, it seems.

I looked at that Janet Cole website and it appears to be some British people renting apts in Paris, I'm surprised at how many people seem to want to run businesses renting apts in Paris when they aren't French, but maybe she is an expat and is trying to figure out what to do with herself to make money. I think A La Carte is actually the same thing, run by some British people. It kind of bugs me, actually, although perhaps irrational how much the British are trying to take over French real estate everywhere you go. It's surprising, actually, given how small a country it is.