Reload this Page >

help in choosing from 4 hostel locations in london

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 11:14 PM
ted

All of these hostels are with 5GBP of each other pp /pnight so cost is not really an issue I suppose.<BR><BR>They are:<BR>1. Oxford Street YHA which backs onto Noel Steet between regent and soho sq.<BR><BR>2. St Pancras YHA which is on Euston street opp St Pancras station<BR><BR>3. Earls Court YHA also cnr of bolton street near earls courst sq.<BR><BR>4. Holland House YHA which is on holland walk near notting hill station.<BR><BR>We are fairly conservative travellers (2 couples, me, dad and our wives and none of us drink etc) only spending a couple of days in London then we'll get a car and head north. <BR><BR>If you haveknowledge of the hostels then please coment but mostly I wonder about the location expecially if the a hostel is in a partying part or dirty part of town. <BR><BR>That might sound stupid given the price range we are looking at (less than 100 GBP for 4 people) but I hope you get the gist of what I mean and can help with some good comments

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Tracy

Hey Ted,<BR><BR>Holland House is by far one of the nicest hostels in Europe. Holland Park is wonderful (authentic Japanese garden, peacocks roaming the grounds), I'm just unsure about what the evening curfew will be for that hostel.<BR><BR>Both Notting Hill Gate and Holland Park are convenient from one side of the park, while the other side takes you directly onto High Street Ken. So you're psyched for a lovely location.<BR><BR>HTH!<BR>= )

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:17 AM
janis

These four hostel are all nice (some London Hostels are really nasty!) I wouldn't stay at St Pancras - I personally don't like the neighborhood because it isn't the safest. Because they are good, they are usually quite full. And at all four (except maybe St Pancras) you will unlikely find any private rooms.<BR><BR>Instead of a hostel, for &pound;100 per night you could stay in a decent B&B quad room with a private bath, or rent a studio or 1 bedroom flat and have a full kitchen, private bath, etc. Seems better options to me for "fairly conservative travellers"

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:08 PM
ted

thank you.<BR><BR>Janis,<BR><BR>we would only be staying one or 2 nights (we arrive for one night, then come back later for 2 more nights). ON this basis is your idea of the renting a room still valid? or do you have a quad room B&B etc that you personally would recommend.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:40 PM
janis

ted: I don't know when you are traveling - but try londontown.co.uk<BR><BR>I plugged in September and found several nice properties w/ quad room &pound;99 or less.<BR><BR>Another site to try is www.lfcbb.co.uk/<BR>They have ensuite quad and family rooms for about &pound;100 in very nice B&Bs.<BR><BR>www.demon.co.uk/hotel-net/hotel_rooms4.html is a link directly to the quad room choices of this good site. They also have several at &pound;100 or less - some much less<BR><BR>Any of the above will have rooms that are better (and many that are cheaper) than most hostels.<BR><BR>As for apartments, you can find flats that rent by the night in your price range, but the best buys are for weekly rentals.