Reload this Page >

Fair Price on car rental in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Heidi

OK, I have a couple more questions. The quote I got for a 4 door compact car with air and a manual transmission for a week was $291.00. That includes all taxes. We were planning to pick up and drop off at the train station. Is that too much to pay? I don't want to get ripped off.<BR><BR>Also, can I just use my US driver's license in Germany or do I need to try and get an International one? We leave 2 weeks from this Friday.<BR><BR>Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for all the helpful responses from everyone. This message board is a nice thing to have!<BR><BR>Heidi<BR><BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Rex

You can find cheaper, in my opinion. the rates are certainly better than this on www.its-cars-hotels.com - - even keeping in mind that you need to add 15% airport tax and 16% VAT.<BR><BR>And for an upcoming trip, I actually got better rates quoted to me by both Avis and Hertz (when Continental connected me to them) - - than I got from ITS-cars-hotels - - and quite a bit better than autoeurope.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:30 AM
up

ttt<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Dick Yeager

Heidi,<BR><BR>You do not need an International Drivers License for Germany.<BR><BR>Regarding your car, you say the price includes all taxes. Does it also include their CDW insurance? Also, who did you receive this quote from?<BR><BR>Dick<BR><BR>Dick

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Heidi

Rex, thanks for the advice! <BR><BR>Dick, the quote I got was off the Avis website and included all taxed but not CDW. My credit card covers that so I won't need to pay the extra.<BR><BR>Can I get a better price?<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR><BR>Heidi

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Rex

You're very welcome, Heidi.<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Dick Yeager

Heidi,<BR><BR>Yes, your credit card covers the CDW. Just hope you don't have a major accident since the estimated damage would be immediately charged to your credit card and could max it out. Personally, I think you are ok.<BR><BR>Try autoeurope.com. They are a broker, but seem to use Avis in Germany. Comparing the two a few months ago, I received a better rate with Autoeurope.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Blair

we rented a car from autoeurope and had a great experience. For 9 days it cost somewhere around $500. We decided to extend our use and drop the car off in another town and they were very helpful. I would reccomend them.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Gary

Double check to see if your credit card covers you for CDW out of country!<BR>Also I believe you should have a liabilty insurance which CDW is not.<BR>(The liabilty insurance may be mandatory in Germany!)<BR>Gary

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Rex

My experience with autoeurope has been good, as blair reports. But once you pick up the car it is no longer "them" (autoeurope) since they are a broker and have no actual cars. The good experience blair reports is to the credit of the actual company that rented the car, not a feather in autoeurope's cap.<BR><BR>And the last few times I have dome some "test-checking" on rates from autoeurope, I was finding quite a few cheaper rates elsewhere.<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Heidi

Thanks for all the help everyone! I do appreciate it! <BR><BR>Heidi<BR><BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Betsy

AutoEurope claims to meet or beat any other company's rates. Great service and you can extend or cut your rental short without penalty. They provide a toll free phone number to their US HQ that works 24/7 in case of problems.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Peck

You might be able to do a little better. Try e-sixt.com and alamo.com.<BR>I got a good price from Alamo, but for a little more, I got a Mercedes from Sixt. Sixt quotes their prices before taxes, so add the %15 plus %16 taxes.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Mike

I got a good deal from Sixt when I was in Munich last year. We got a BMW 3 series diesel station wagon with GPS for 9 days. Great gas mileage, with a lot of pep. Don't remember the exact price but it was about $300.00.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Stephanie

I just secured a reservation with Alamo for a compact car, manual transmission for a six day rental in November and got a price of about $220 (which includes all taxes). I used the promotion from their webpage www.alamo.com that is currently offering 20% off Germany rentals. Give them a call 1-800-GO-ALAMO.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Heidi

Thanks again for all of the great advice! I will try Alamo, E-sixt, and <BR>Auto Europe.<BR><BR>I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.<BR><BR>Heidi<BR><BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Steve

Just browsing the posts . . . verify the out-of-country CDW coverage as someone suggested and be prepared to pay a MUCH higher CC deposit if you decline. I rented a car from Sixt (5 days for an all inclusive total of $420), declined the CDW and they hit my credit card for a $4200 deposit. I ended up having to take the CDW just to reduce the deposit hit against my credit card.<BR><BR>Steve

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:47 PM
topper

topping<BR>