Reload this Page >

HELP, HELP WHICH TOURGROUP IN ROME???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 09:20 AM
littlear

WE TRIED TO GET TOURS THROUGH SCALE REALE,IN ROME, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR SECOND,THIRD AND FOURTH CHOICES? I AM LEAVING ON FRIDAY WITH MY MOM AND SISTER. WE WILL BE IN ROME IN APRIL 26. AS SOON AS ANYONE CAN, PLEASE SEND A MESSAGE. [email protected]

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 11:02 AM
scurry

<BR>Several Fodors have posted that the AmEx tours are good.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:03 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, littlear? <BR>Escprted bus tours of Rome and also <BR>other day trips can be arrange at the <BR>travel desk at the American Express Office which is located just south of <BR>the bottom of the Spanish Steps. Beleive <BR>they open 9-5 Mon thru Fri, not sure of <BR>Sat hours if any. Secondly these tours <BR>by other tour operators can be arranged <BR>thru the concierge of your hotel, mostly <BR>with pickup at your hotel, but return <BR>close by....check into www.rourome.com....www.tour-web.com..... <BR>www.romeguide.it..... <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il..

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 10:48 PM
allen

Hi, littlear: <BR>You don't need to take tours arranged by agency. It's a rip-off. <BR>Get a map from yr hotel, choose yr own destination, it's all within short walking distance. If u like, take a taxi from East to West; it only cost u no more than US$6.- JUST show the driver the picture of your hot spot. We just return from Rome.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 03:15 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I've been researching Rome myself, I got the following (opinionated) information from the Rough Guide website <BR>A number of companies run organized trips around the city centre, though these are, for the most part, quite pricey and not really worth the money. Probably the best value, for general orientation and a glance at the main sights, is the ATAC-run #110 bus tour, which in summer leaves Termini Station at 10.30am, 2pm, 3pm, 5pm, 6pm and costs L15,000 for a three-hour jaunt, with <BR>twenty-minute stops at the Vatican, in Via dei Fori Imperiali and in Piazza Venezia. The air-conditioned grey coach, with pictures of Rome's monuments on the sides, stands out against the ocean of orange buses. Of several companies that organize all kinds of tours, one of the best is Enjoy Rome, Via Varese 39 (06.445.1843), which runs inexpensive walking and cycling tours of Rome given by native English speakers, as well as day trips to Pompeii. <BR> <BR>Il Sogno, Viale Regina Margherita 192 (tel 06.8530.1758, fax 06.8530.1756), runs all kinds of tours, and is perhaps the best one-stop place to go if you're not sure what you want. Finally, for the ultra-personal touch, Norman Roberson (tel 06. 5820.3105), one of the contributors to The Rough Guide, specializes in tours of the ancient sights and some of the larger galleries, as well as the Etruscan sites north of the city; contact him by phone, or get details from www.agora.stm.it/n.roberson/home.htm <BR> <BR> <BR>also check the website <BR>www.romeguide.it <BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Rex

Elaine, <BR> <BR>This address - - www.agora.stm.it/n.roberson/home.htm - - produces a "404" (File not found) error. Even the "stem" - - www.agora.stm.it - - does a re-direct to some other page that may be information about the host - - I'm not sure. <BR> <BR>I'll get back to you later today about your latest e-mail to me. <BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 07:58 AM
carol

I love Rome and sightseeing. I'd suggest a 3-hour bus tour the morning after you arrive and a guided walking tour of the ancient monuments--colosseum, forum et al. I truly feel that you can enjoy everything else that Rome has to offer if you have a good guidebook and a good map. One other thing--I very much enjoyed a nighttime bus tour of Rome--even though it was very touristy, it was lots of fun AND all the major monuments are lit with huge spotlights and look fantastic.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 09:22 AM
gina

Another vote for Enjoy Rome. Their nighttime/old Rome tour was fabulous, one of the best tours I have ever taken. Their office is easy to find and here's a plus--right next door is a laundromat/cyber point so it's pretty handy. They do accept reservations but not credit cards so you have to go directly to their office. I would strongly recommend that you take a tour. Yes, you can do it on your own, but if you are like our family, you will spend lots of time wondering what it was all about instead of learning what only an experienced tour guide can provide. Rome is fabulous but confusing and I would hate to see you miss a minute. Have a wonderful time.