Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Help! Going to Cambridge, What should we do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We are travelling to Cambridge this weekend and are trying to pack in as much as possible in 3 days, Can someone please recommend an itinary to cover art, music, a few nice walks and maybe a little bit of shopping, I should greatly appreciate any recommendation you would give at such short notice.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 06:55 PM

For art, visit the Fitzwilliam Museum, open every day but Monday. Also, the Cambridge University Library currently has an exhibit of ancient sacred manuscripts.

Ely Cathedral is a short distance away (if you have no car, there is frequent train service). There are Evensong services each afternoon at 5:30. At the Friday service the choir will sing Renaissance music in the Lady Chapel with its wonderful acoustics.

The Kings College Chapel is one of the architectural jewels of Cambridge. Visit it during the day to see the building, and there are also Evensong services each day at 5:30. On Saturday, Evensong will be followed by an organ recital.

The play Pygmalion is being performed every evening through Nov. 8.

Walk around the University area and along the river. I suppose it is too cold now for punting on the river.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:32 PM

If you have time I suggest you travel along the A14 to Bury St Edmunds - will only take you about half an hour. Bury has an old Abbey , now ruined but fascinating to walk tound and next to 2 wonderful churches. Across from the Abbey is the Angel Hotel (Dickens stayed there), lovely for a drink or meal. Bury has many old streets to wander round and is a lovely place.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 12:09 AM

Dunican:

The Open Top Bus Tour, Guide Friday is a excellent way to see Cambridge. Visits all major places of interest and allows you to get on and off the bus at many of the stops. We purchased our tickets outside the Railway Station. The commentary is very good.

Sandy
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:11 AM

The Duxford Air Museum is just a few miles south. It contains several hangars full of WWII planes as well as more recent aircraft. Really interesting if you are interested in that sort.

I believe there is a free bus running from Cambridge to the Duxford museum.

Regards,

Jinx Hoover
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:22 AM

The tourist office offers walking tours of the colleges. The cost was 6.50GBP in 2001. Admission to King's College Chapel is included. At this time of the year there is always a tour at 13:30 (and sometimes at 11:30).
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 10:20 AM
SRC51102

Dunican--

I just spent last summer in Cambridge--it is a great city and I am sure you will enjoy your trip! Just reading these suggestions makes me miss it terribly.

I don't have much to add regarding sites, everyone has given you great suggestions. Kings College is a must along with the Fitzwilliam. If you will be there on a Sunday there is a tour of the Fitz available, which I highly recommend. I learned a lot. You can do the Fitz/Kings College in the same day as they are just a block apart. Also, across from Kings there is a great place for taking your afternoon tea. The name escapes me, but you can't miss it as it is literally across from Kings and has a green sign out front.

The other suggestion I have has to do with food--if you like Thai cuisine make sure you eat in one of the many Thai restaurants located in Cambridge. I ate at a few and all were good. Indian food is also a good choice --many options and you can't go wrong.

If you prefer English fare, you must try Brown's, accross from the Fitzwilliam Museum. It is by far the best traditional food in town. (And after living there this summer and eating out all the time I feel qualified to say this.) The lamb dish there is out of this world.

I also posted a similar question on Cambridge last June before I left and got lots of suggestions. (All were great.) You may want to do a quick Fodor's search for it.

Have fun!

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 05:36 PM

If you click on SRC51102 you will find the postings for her trip.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:39 AM
vcl

For music, see what's going on at the Corn Exchange on Market Square, the venue for most live concerts. Also check out the college chapels; Kings' Choir is excellent. If weather permits, stroll along the Backs. There's shopping for tourist stuff in the outdoor market and lots of interesting shops in the streets that border it.
A meal at Henri's right on the Cam at Magdalene Bridge lets you watch the swans, ducks and perhaps even some punters. Food isn't bad but service is extremely slow.