Help...Frankfurt, Berlin, Lenggries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fordorites, I really need help figuring out how to best use the time we have visiting Berlin and southern Germany. We will arrive in Berlin by car about noon. We have 2 nights....one full day and part of the last day to see what we can. Any suggestions of what not to miss? Any good tour guides or walking tours? I read about the #100 bus, want to see the gate and wall. What cool things are in Berlin?

We are going South from Berlin to Weiden, then Regensburg and then Lenngries south of Munich for 4 nights. We want to see as much as possible around Munich as well as take train to Munich. Is it worth one day in Munich and one day in Salzburg? We also want to see Fussen, Garmish, castles and maybe a gondola ride. Any advice. This is going to be an awesome trip but I am afraid we will miss things we don't know about.

After Lenggries this is our tenative plan. We are going to overnight in Ingolstat for the audi tour, then to Nordlingen, Dinkelsbuhl, overnight in Rothenburg o.d.Tauber. The next day drive the Tauber valley road ending in Heidelburg for the night. The last day we want to drive up the Rhine to Bacharach and take a boat ride to St Goar. We will end up in Frankfurt that night for our early flight the next day.
If you have any suggestions please let me know. This is very last minute! Thanks.
Kathy
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 05:13 PM

This might eat up too much of your time but we went on a Brewer's Berlin Walking tour (http://www.brewersberlintours.com) our first day. It's 8 hours long but unbelieavably comprehensive. They manage to hit most of the highlights and then we decided after that what we wanted to explore further.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Jayne,
I emailed them about guides for the days we will be there. Who was your guide?
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM

The Pergamon Museum is a "must see" imo, especially the Pergamon Alter and the Ishtar Gate and the Processional Way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pergamon_Museum

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Hi, Kathy...

I second the recommendation for a Brewer's all day tour (8-9 hrs). It was excellent, one of the best walking tours I've taken, anywhere. (We were in Berlin last January.)

We covered most major sites, including lots of interesting places where things had occured that I would have missed, had we not been on a tour. The anecdotes and history were great.

Our guide was a guy named Robin Williams (really!).

Brewer's also has a half day highlight tour, by the way.

Bus #100 is very good for a quick overview of where things are, especially if you're tired and don't want to walk.

We loved the area of Prenzlauer Berg, where we stayed....lots of great little restaurants, cafes, galleries, pubs, etc. A great place to wander at night...

Have a great time.

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, that should cover our short time in Berlin and let us know what we might want to come back to see.

From Lenggries, 45 min south of Munich we will spend 4 nights, 3 days. Any suggestions? I hope to spend a day driving through some small towns or villages, one day in Munich and one in Salzburg. What do you think?
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Kathylee-the guide we had is no longer in Berlin. He was an American grad student and planned to return to the states within the year.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM

From Lenggries, Munich (by train, one per hour), Salzburg (by car), and a tour of Linderhof, Ettal, Wieskirche, and Neuschwanstein/ Hohenschwangau are easy day trips.

Yet, it may be a bit too much to squeeze all the sights of that "castle trip" into one trip. Will be a bit up to you how much can take in one day.

Lenggries has a gondola up to Brauneck mountain. Not that high (some 1,500m) but with nice views of the Alps and a lots of hiking trails.

The whole area of Lenggries is perfect for car trips, nearby Bad Tölz is also worth a visit. Murnau (bit west of Lenggries) is a very nice small town, so is Mittenwald.

You can also take a sneak preview of Austria by going south via Lake Sylvenstein and Achensee, Wattens (for the Svarowski Crystal World, or however that is properly called), Hall in Tirol, Innsbruck, Seefeld, the Leutasch gorge, Mittenwald, Krün, and back to Lake Sylvenstein and Lenggries via the toll road.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I heard we need to go to the tallest place via gondola...where would that be? Lenggries gondola sounds enough for me!
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 12:43 AM

Hi Kathy, that trip sounds very nice - if you need a room near the Frankfurt Airport for the last night I recommend the Airport Domizil Hotel in Mörfelden-Walldorf. It has new owners and its reasonably priced, friendly and clean. www.airport-domizil-hotel.com
Enjoy your trip!
Carsten