6 hours in Berlin

Search

6 hours in Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 hours in Berlin

We are going on a cruise and we will stop in Rostock Germany,We can take a tour into Berlin but we only will have 6 hours once we get there. Any Ideas
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:43 AM
yk

Hi scosha-

That's a tough one. There are so many sights to see in Berlin & they are so spread out, it is hard to see much in Berlin.
I suggest you either take the touristy City Bus tours that allow you hop on-hop off.
http://www.berlin-tourist-informatio..._busfahrt.html

What you should see depends on your interest. If you haven't done so, go to a bookstore and read up a Berlin guide book and see which sights are *must sees* for you.
You can probably see Reichstag, Branderburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Topographie of Terrors.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I think we do need more time.
we will stay in the Rostock area
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:06 PM

Six hours in Berlin will work! I was able to do a lot of sightseeing my first day in Berlin (from 3pm till 10pm). I visited two museums - Jewish Museum and Checkpoint Charlie. Walked from the Jewish Museum to Checkpoint Charlie area. From Checkpoint Charlie, walked to Potzdamer Platz to see the awesome architecture and the Sony Center. Then walked down the 19. Juni Strasse to see the Brandenburg Gate, then to the Reichstag. It was about 9:15pm when I visited the Reichstag, so the line wasn't too long.

I think you will be able to see several sights in Berlin in six hours.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM

When I was in Berlin very briefly, I went on a walking tour with Berlin Walks (?). The tour guide offered his personal view of the top three attractions: Reichstag Dome, Topographie of Terrors, Pergamonmuseum
(not necessarily in order)

I had very limited time myself -- I only had about ten minutes for Topographie. The other two would be worth your trouble. There's usually a long line to see the Dome though, and you should check to see if it will be open when you're there (it's periodically closed for cleaning).

Also Brandenburg Gate/Pariser Platz, definitely, and this is basically right next to the Reichstag.

The one thing I wish I had seen which I had to give up because of time was the Charlottenburg area (with the Egyptian Museum and that bust).

To allow you to calibrate your opinions a bit, these are some of the other sites I visited:

Kulturforum
Gemaeldegalerie
Penzlauer Berg
the old Jewish neighborhood -- forget what that's called
Walk along Unter den Linden
Walk along Friedrichstrasse
Checkpoint Charlie
KaDeWe

I stayed in the former West Berlin off the Ku'Damm -- in retrospect, a bit of a mistake.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:03 PM
yk

As others have mentioned, the museums in Berlin are excellent. I did not list them in my original post because:
1. YOu only have 6 hrs
2. Too many museums to suggest *the one*

If you want to visit a museum, decide which one is the *best* for you. For some, it's seeing the Pergamon Altar at the Pergamon Museum, for others, it is the Jewish Museum, and some others, it is seeing Queen Nefertiti's bust in the Egyptian Museum.

Another tip:
One way to skip the line at Reichstag is to make a lunch or dinner reservation at the roof top restaurant at Reichstag. The food was excellent, and you save your time waiting in line (you'll end up using that time eating instead).
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:12 PM

Great tip, yk, re the Dome. But get reservations before you get there -- I noticed that when I got up there the restaurant indicated that there were no more spots. But I was there late (I was there right before the place was closed off).

Actually the whole experience reminded me a bit of the Guggenheim in New York, but the views are quite spectacular, and you also get to see parts of the Parliament below. This one is indeed a winner.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:16 PM
yk

In case someone stumbles across this thread and want to make a reservation for Reichstag's roof top restaurant, here is the info:

> The roof garden restaurant next to the dome looks outover Pariser Platz, and is open daily from 09.00 hrs to 16.30 hrs andfrom 18.30 hrs to 24.00 hrs. Visitors who have already reserved atable can enter the building via the entrance below the west portal to the right (West C). Tables can be reserved by telephone on +49 (0)30 -22 62 99 33 or online at www.feinkost-kaefer.de. <