Help for 1 Week Tour

Jan 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Help for 1 Week Tour

I am taking a five week trip to Europe and plan to spend about a week of my time in Italy. How does Rome (3 days), Venice (2 days), and Cique Terra(2 days) and travel time sound. Does that seem possible in around 8 days or so. I guess I am mostly confused about how the travel time will work in there. I of course can flex my time a little but have a large agenda and want to see many things as this might be one of the only times I ever make it there.
Jan 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM

That sounds very rushed to me. Travel time is not tall hat much like 3-5 hours on the train between the different cities but still time is involved changing hotels, getting to the train station, getting to your next hotel, etc. And 3 days to see Rome and 2 days to see Venice hardly seems adequate. I'd go less places and spend more time.

Can't you shave a little off the five weeks to add to Italy?
Jan 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Do you think I should take some time off of the week we were going to spend in Spain or Germany? I have heard that Spain could be worth missing since I am from California it will not be all that different of an experience.
Jan 10th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Well I certinaly don't think Spain is enough like California to give it a miss for that reason anyway -lol.

It's personal travel style but I hate to move around every other day. And don't consider 2 days enough to really get the feel for any large city or region.

That said, if you have been to Europe before and enjoyed a similarly aggressive itinerary, please disregard my comments.
Jan 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
rex

I think that the Cinque Terre makes this itinerary a bad idea.

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34733998

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:25 AM

Trp - I agree with Rex.

The Cinque Terre is very time-consuming to get to/from. CT-Venice, for example takes 6-7 hrs. Too much time to lose on a one-week itineray IMO.

Steve
Jan 11th, 2006, 01:47 AM
ira

Hi trp,

It would help if you told us what the whole itinerary was.

When are you going?

Jan 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

I am going the last week of August. First stop is Athens and Santorini for 8 days, then Italy for a little more than a week, then Spain for I am not sure how many days, and then making our way up to Germany for October fest the beginning of October and then flying out on October 9th. I know it sounds rushed to everyone but I have never been and might not get a chance to go for another 20 years. I really was hoping to go to CT on our way to Spain from Venice. More tips if you have any please.
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Just popping in to make sure you know Oktoberfest (in Munich anyways) starts September 16 and ends October 3.
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Yes I am thank you though!
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:32 AM
ira

Hi trp,

You might want to go Athens to Venice to CT to Rome and then to Spain.

See www.whichbudget.com for cheap flights.

See www.trenitalia.com for trains from Venice to La Spezia and Rome.

Jan 12th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Really?? I had never thought of that. How do you get from Athens to Venice?? and from Rome to Spain?? I am getting a Eurail pass. If you do not know that is ok I will try and look it up. I like comments like that because I am very flexible as far as how long and which ways to get places, but I really have my heart set on CT. Thanks!!
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM

It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I'd never choose Octoberfest over seeing Italy properly, and yes, your itinerary really seems rushed, especially when you include CT. By the time you calculate all of the transfer time, you will really be narrowing down the window you have to see the multitude of treasures Italy has to offer.
Our first trip my wife and I allowed three days in Venice, and left feeling like we wanted at least twice that much.
Jan 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Ira means you would fly.

Eurail passes are not always the best value. Did you price out the various options with your specific itinerary? Have you purchased it already? With the budget airlines being, well, budget some of the longest legs of your trip would be shorter and cheaper on a flight rather than the train.

We are not poo-pooing you about "rushing" but there is only a realistic amount of distance you can cover in a day, and I think your plan is pushing the envelope of that. Somewhere you have to figure in your travel days, those are missing in your 3 days here, 2 days there plan.
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM
rex

<< I am getting a Eurail pass... >>

Most likely a mistake, unless you are a traveling salesman, calling on customers in a half dozen different cities per week, or more... at least in Italy.
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:35 AM

curious how things turned out? did we change your mind about buying a Eurail pass? can you find a few more days to add to the Italy part of the trip?
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM

If you have a week in Italy, I would spend 2 days in Venice, a day traveling and 4 days in Rome. If you have more than a week, say 9 days, I would spend two and a half days in Venice, 2 and a half in Florence and 4 in Rome.