Help first timer

Search

Help first timer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help first timer

Hello. This is my mine and my husbands first trip abroad. I am the planner and have a few questions. We are going to Paris in May/June 2007. I am looking for a reasonable hotel in a decent location. I was also wondering what is the best way to get to the hotel? DO we take a cab upon arrival, does the train go to the airport? We will be fine once we get into the city, I just don't want to get screwed by a local.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:36 PM

There are trains from the airport into town where you can catch the metro to/near your hotel.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:49 PM

By "best way" to get to the hotel, do you mean the easiest or the least expensive? The easiest is to go to the airport taxi stand and get a cab. I stayed in the Latin Quarter in September and the cab was less than 50 euro.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

I wouls have to say we need to know the easiest way, and roughly what the cost will be? Is it just like in the states, I give them an address. I am a little concerned b/c a friend of mine was way over charged.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:08 PM

There are sooooo many threads on transport from CDG to Paris. Search on "CDG and shuttle","CDG and RER B" or "CDG and cab".

Easiest, but most expensive: cab.

Air France shuttle bus is easy, drops at central locations in Paris from which you can take a cab. [You don't have to fly AF to use this service.]

The RER B (train) departs from CDG directly to central Paris. I like this best because there are no traffic jams.

As for hotels, what do you consider "reasonable"? You can also search on "Paris and hotel"...you'll get lots of hits.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

I will definatley check out those sights. I think cab might be best for us the forst time. As for a hotel we have lots of choice hotel points (comfort inn suites, quality inn). I don't know which are closest to city center. We will also have enough points to stay at a marriott for a few nights. All input is appreciated.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM

You need to do a bit of research on your own to try to discern which arrondissement you would find most appealing - they all kind of have their own personalities. The 6th, 5th and 7th on the Left bank are popular here.
Or tell us which specific hotels you're looking at using and we can give you feedback. Also try tripadvisor.com
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM
rex

I suppose that it is moot now, as you already have several replies, but this is absolutely the _wrong_ way to post a question (I'm referring specifically to your message "header&quot.

Please see my reply on http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34832802

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM

As far as location, you can use http://www.multimap.com to look up addresses of hotels you're interested in and see how they relate to metro stops and certain attractions.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Time for the endless taxi vs. train vs. shuttle vs. bus debate.

Determine the exact location of your hotel before asking about airport transportation. The address can change everything.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 10:52 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Paris in April this year and we took the train from the airport to the city and we used the metro to get to our hotel. We stayed at Timhotel Tour Eiffel and that was OK and we used it to keep the cost down I have posted a trip report with links and pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 03:36 AM

Some reasonably priced central hotels in Paris:

http://www.paris35.com/

The metro is great for getting around Paris and avoiding the traffic jams but it has one drawback in that it often involves a lot of walking, and you don't want to do that with cases. Take the shuttle:

http://www.airport-shuttle.com/
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its tough putting up the first timer request, so here are a few pointers. Paris both a very large city and a series of arrondissement which appear more like small towns. So I suggest first buy or borrow a Book on Paris.

If you have money to burn use Taxi. If not the train in from the Airport is pretty good and Paris Underground is very nice and relatively simple to get around. Ok so you will be jet lagged but by reading your book, studying the train system you can reduce the walking part of the holiday.

Hotels really depends on what you want to do in it. It would be unusual to want to eat in a hotel if you are near good restaurants in my mind but hey. So think about Non-international hotels and you will find them clean and safe just cheaper and less TV. If you must have CNN then chose to do so.

For me I like the 16 arrondissment and the Cite de science but we all go to Paris for different things
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:09 AM

If this is your first long trip (yep, first to Europe, but maybe you have flown elsewhere ?), you don't know how jet lag effects you yet. The effects are strictly individual. It hits me hard b/c I cannot sleep on planes so I just always think taxi so I can get to my room ASAP.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:26 AM
ira

Hi K,

First choose your hotel, then ask how to get to it.

You can look up the addresses of your possible choices at www.pagesjaunes.fr.

This will allow you to see a map and pix of the neighborhood.

www.ratp.fr will give you directions for public transportation from the hotels to other places in the city.

Enjoy your planning.

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
First thing I'd do is get a map of Paris. Figure out how the "arrondisements" work. The neighborhoods are numbered spiraling outward like a snail from the center, going upward in number. I would suggest a hotel well located in the central part of the city, say near Notre Dame (5th), or near the Eiffle Tower (7th), etc.

I suggest taking a taxi from the airport.

And maybe rethink your attitude a bit. The comment "I just don't want to get screwed by a local" is not the best way to start your trip to Paris imo. kindly, Suze