Help! Eurostar Problem

Jun 26th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Help! Eurostar Problem

Finally decided to use Rail Europe, based in Chicago, for our London-Paris round-trip tickets on Eurostar. Rail Europe says that they only add a $7 fee and $15 for obligatory Fed-Ex. Today is exactly 60 days from the date we want to leave London. 2nd class would be $90 each, r.t. The catch is that the Eurostar schedule [on their website too] only goes to Sept. 27. Our return to London was planned for Sept 29. The R.E. agent does not think that the new schedule will be available by closing tonight. The cost per ticket goes to $188 each if we don't buy 60 days before. I have a travel friend who says to always call back until you get another agent who gives you the answer that you want. That sometimes works with the airlines so maybe I'll try it. Any other thoughts on this? We already have hotel reservations for that last week in Italy and Nice but not for the 27th and 28th that we hoped to spend in Paris. Thanks!

Jun 26th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Bootman4U

Couldn't you go ahead and buy the tickets now for a future date and change them, if necessary once there. Is it that they cannot issue a ticket for a date beyond the 27th?
And in terms of your friend calling somebody and anybody until she gets the answer she wants to hear...they're inevitably the ones who complain later about "not knowing" or of being "misinformed." If you do call RE ask to speak to a supervisor and get their name, too..always helps to ask WHO they are. Good Luck!

Jun 26th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Bootman4U

As a follow-on..I bet a lot of folks here will tell you to ditch RE entirely and buy your tickets over there where they are cheaper. Seems someone recently wrote saying the Eurostar trains are rarely full. Also, I recently got RT air London-Paris-Londo on British Air for $53.00 PP not including taxes...a lot cheaper than Eurostar and I'm a dedicated train buff, too. Think it over.

Jun 27th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Hi, daph.

Inasmuch as I still hadn't received a response from Eurostar, I went back to their website and eventually found a phone number in the U.K. I called this morning and, after going through the usual menus, I was automatically transferred to Rail-Europe. After 12 probably expensive minutes on hold I was told that I had to speak directly to...Eurostar!!

A woman gave me the proper phone number where I was rather quickly connected to a gentleman who searched their records for my previous online order. Having found none he was able to sell me the tickets I needed for our September 7 trip from London to Brussels.

The irony is that, while we are only going one-way, the first-class leisure round-trip tickets were cheaper than the one-way tickets (sounds like a U.S. airline). The total cost was about 210 pounds including the 3-pound service fee. This is a lot better than the $438.00 quote I got online.

If you want the phone number I'll be happy to pass it on to you; don't have it with me now.

BTW, these tix are non-refundable and non-exchangeable which is okay with us because if this long-planned, long-anticipated trip falls through, I'll have to kill myself.
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:01 AM

The 60-day advance purchase fare has apparently been abolished in the last few days and replaced by a Mon-Thur fare of $90 round-trip without any advance purchase requirement, but subject to availability and lots of trains Paris-London, while they may not be full, greatly restrict the number of discounted tickets per train. Whether this fare is available in Europe or not is hard to tell from Eurostar web site which indicates it is not. Call Budget Europe (800-441-9413) for the best service in this country on Eurostar bookings and the best current fares. I've bought several from them in past years.