HELP!! Dingle or Clifden

Sep 17th, 2003, 07:17 AM
maryintwin

HELP!! Dingle or Clifden

I will have only 3 days after a stay in Shannon. should I head north and out to Clifden or southwest to Dingle?? Pros and Cons of each?? I will be traveling in early April.

Sep 17th, 2003, 09:07 AM

I'd choose Dingle. It has some of the most spectacular scenery I've seen. Slea Head, on the western end of the peninsula, with the Blasket Islands in the distance brings tears to my eyes every time. The area around Clifden is also an area I love, but it has a 'quieter', less dramatic beauty.
I also really love Dingle Town. Many options for restaurants and pubs, a very lively atmosphere, and a dolphin who lives in the harbor!
Sep 17th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Mary, I'd choose Dingle as well -- both areas are beautiful when it comes to scenery but Dingle has, in my opinion, a great nightlife that gives you interaction with many locals.

The Small Bridge Pub has traditional music at night -- a disco upstairs I believe. Nice restaurants in town as well. Hit Dick Mack's Pub across from the church and you'll meet some real interesting locals -- a must see!

Clifden is nice but I don't think you'd enjoy parking yourself there for 2 nights...

Cheers,
Chris
http://www.EnchantingIreland.com
Sep 17th, 2003, 09:33 AM
maryintwin

What about Westport? I have just heard so much about the Dingle peninsula & Connemara that it is obviosly difficult to choose....

Sep 17th, 2003, 11:28 AM

No question--Dingle !
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:30 AM

I totally agree -- Dingle is the answer.
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Lovely to see you here, Chris!

Sep 17th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Another Ding!, Ding!, Ding for Dingle!!!
JOHN
Sep 17th, 2003, 09:25 PM

Like you really need one more person to type "Dingle"?

Actually, I do love the Connemara. Mystical, very different sort of place and if you ever get back with more time, do go. Clifden has some good B&Bs, restaurants, etc. Plus Kylemore Abbey and some amazing drives, like Lough Inagh.

But as much as I like Connemara, Dingle will just have more to do and see for 3 days. Many have been listed already. Don't miss the view of the beach at Inch and the pre-historic sites mixed in with that scenery.
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Hi Maryintwin,

If it's your 1st time to Ireland (or your 2nd or 3rd) DINGLE !

The scenery is spectacular (print out Rick Steves driving tour - very informative and fun to follow).

I second the Small Bridge Pub, great trad music (hopefully Ian will be playing). If you really want to meet the locals go to Foxy Johns Hardware/Pub. Had my first Guiness Beer and Irish wiskey there. WOW.

Also, on the main street across from parking is a little blue building that is a fish market during day time, and at night converts to a cozy restaurant. Make reservations - the food was fabulous.

Enjoy,

Tam
Sep 18th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Tam is right! The restaurant's called Out of the Blue and is fantastic. Another place we liked very much was Midi, next to Dick Mack's.
Sep 19th, 2003, 12:07 PM
maryintwin

Thanks All! Dingle it IS!!!

Sep 21st, 2003, 04:07 AM

Good Choice! Don't forget to post back when you return! We would all like to hear if we steered you right on Dingle!
JOhn