Dingle Peninsula or Ring of Kerry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on what I have read here, I prefer Dingle, my sister has been told the Ring. I would love to convince her otherwise; can I impose upon you generous people to help me sway her? Thanks so much! Will let you know who "wins"!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:12 PM

Would a couple of pics help? 1000 words, and all that. Amateur though they may be...

Inch:
http://travel.nexxtworld.com/ireland..._dingle01.html

Slea Head:
http://travel.nexxtworld.com/ireland..._dingle07.html
http://travel.nexxtworld.com/ireland..._dingle10.html

Looking toward Blaskets:
http://travel.nexxtworld.com/ireland..._dingle08.html
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Clifton! I knew I could count on you!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:14 PM

Slea Head on the western edge of the Dingle Peninsula really is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. Wasn't there a Natl. Geographic photographer who called it 'the most beautiful place on earth'?
And, many fewer tour buses than you'll find on the Ring of Kerry!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:56 AM

Dingle. I have done both, unfortunately Kerry just before Dingle. If only I had known. Cosier, more scenic, better restaurants and music, great museum about Irish heritage. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:23 AM

Another vote for Dingle! We did Dingle first, and then wondered why we even bothered with the ring of Kerry. Connor Pass, Slea Head, and we stayed in Dingle and had a great dinner at the Half Door - no doubt about it - Dingle. Kerry was a waste of a day for me.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

You guys are wonderful! Thank you so much for the insight; I will forward this thread to her and hope for the best! Will let you know how it turns out!!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

We both won; we are spending one night and 1 1/2 days on Dingle, and 1 day at Killarney; not going around the Ring, but around the lakes of the Park.

A little compromise makes all happy, and your comments definitely helped; thank you all so much again! Will leave an elaborate and detailed report upon our return!

Shelly
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:02 PM

You both really did win then. The lakes especially and the park in general is also beautiful. Killarney itself won't be the draw that the park, Muckross House, Ross Castle, Ladies View and the Gap of Dunloe would be. All are right in the vincinity of Killarney.

Good compromise!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:04 PM

"lakes is also"? Sheesh. Changing a thought midstream makes you (or rather - me) look really bright... or not.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 08:06 PM

Great compromise! The lakes of Killarney National Park are really beautiful!
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 07:28 AM

sjb,

The landscape of Slea Head, part of the Dingle Peninsula, is without question one of western Europe's must-see sites.

Still, it would be a mistake to be dismissive of the Ring, casting it aside as too touristy, too clogged with tour buses. Beyond the marvelous ocean views, the Ring features its own "don't miss" site, Skellig Michael, which, in the words of the Footprint Guide to Ireland, is "home to some of the few surviving examples of domestic monastic buildings in the early Christian era." What's more, Skellig Michael is arguably the most spectacularly situated historic site in the British Isles.

Do see the Dingle Peninsula. However, at the same time, don't miss the Ring and, especially, the Skelligs.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 07:37 AM

David, do they serve Guinness there?

Best scenery -- Dingle.

Best mussels -- Dingle (Half-Door)

Best Guinness? Toss a coin.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Budman, you are a hoot!

DavidD, I would love to spend more time at Killarney, but we are so pushed for it, something had to give. I would love for even a week and a half to do the SW justice, as it is, I have 5 days (not counting arrival day) and have to inlcude one day in Dublin, so REALLY pressed for time. Next trip (fingers crossed there will be another!)

MaryZ and Clifton, Anytime I start to rethink my seeing Dingle, I read your notes and tell myself it is worth it to just push thru. Relaxing this won't be, an adventure; definitely! Thank you again so much for your responses, everyone!

Shelly
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Budman,

Sadly, there is no Guinness available on Skellig Michael (the ferry boat operators, however, would undoubtedly be willing to keep a secret should you wish to enlist a few bottles as stowaways).

Still, the fact there's no commercial development on Skellig Michael remains a touristic plus - no tacky trinkets for sale, no t-shirts, no shamrock bears, no restrooms. Therefore, while on Skellig Michael, it behooves one to be mindful of the Boy Scouts admonition, "Be prepared".

Best of luck.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Dingle is a must. It still rtains the rural beauty of Ireland and people are wonderful. Stay at Heatons Guest House for a wonderful memory.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:12 AM

This should not be a multiple choice question. DINGLE!!!
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 06:21 AM

You better hurry to Dingle before it grows too big. It may still retain some of the rural charm of long ago Ireland, but the noticable changes in the past 4-5 years are saddening. Dingletown is no longer quaint, but the rest of the west is still quite beautiful, even if the hills are dotted with homes. I vote for... wait I was about to suggest my favorite place, but then more people will go there and tourism will wrap it's grimy hands around those lovely hills and before you know all the fodorites will be traipsing about. RE: The Ring, it is certainly not a waste of time and if done correctly ie slowly it is wonderful to see. Shame on those who disparage that lovely peninsula. Enjoy your trip, you'll love SleaHead
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:49 AM

Which takes longer to travel? Not sure if I have time to do both.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:19 AM

We did the Kerry, Dingle and Beara(sp?) rings. . .And my vote is also for Dingle. We used the Rick Steve's Dingle tour and it was great! We went in March and had the "ring" to ourselves. Wonderful photos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -