HELP! CONFUSION CONCERNING LE CINQUE TERRE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I am planning a 4-week trip with my best friend this summer and most of the details have been ironed out (thanks to many of you!) however, there is still a part in which I am having trouble with.
I was wondering from Nice, what train station to go into for the best access to the Cinque Terre and then which station would I go out of to reach Florence?
Anything would help.
Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM

Not sure about the Nice-CT connection, but you can take the train from La Spezia just outside of the CT to Santa Maria Novella in Florence.

Check the trenitalia website for times and prices...I believe it is quite reasonable.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice to Genoa??
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM
ira

ttt
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM

You can connect in Genoa from Nice. From Genoa you get the train to Monterosso. Then there is a local depending on which of the 5 towns you are staying in. Hope that helps
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Depending on what time you want to leave Nice and where in the 5 terre you want to go, you would either change in Genova or in Ventimiglia or perhaps both.

From Genova the faster trains stop only in La Spezia and perhaps Monterosso. You would then catch a local train to whichever of the 5 terre villages you are heading, unless of course you are staying in Monterosso (I would not recommend staying in La Spezia).

From Ventimiglia, I believe that most of the trains are slow (but scenic) local trains that stop in all of Italian Riviera towns including all of the 5 terre villages. You have to check though, because there are some faster trains that only will stop in La Spezia on the way to Rome.

To check all of the options you should plug in you dates and departure times here:
http://tinyurl.com/3ens5

You can also plug in dates and times from 5 terre to Florence.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM
MaureenB

A small harbor city which is a good base for access to the Cinque Terre (also Portofino) is Santa Margherita Ligure. We took the train from there to Nice, changing trains in Genoa. I wrote a detailed trip report about both Nice and Santa Margherita Ligure, with hotel and restaurant recommendations:

Nice-- http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

SML/CT/Portofino-- http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34817303
>-