special places to stay, to eat and to tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are scheduled to arrive in Lisbon on February 13th. We have no fixed plans, lodging or itinerary from there except to tour about. We are not beach people and are not keen on lounging about but our days of a strenuous hike are behind us. We are thinking of possibly the Algarve as home base so we can perhaps find reasonably priced lodging for our 3 week stay. We enjoy nature, beautiful scenery, historical towns & architecture and are not much for big cities which are too much alike everywhere. Any suggestions as to special places to stay, to eat and to tour would be very much appreciated!!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:54 AM
lawchick

If you are not beach people, you could consider the Alentejo. http://www.manorhouses.com/manors/portugal/touril.html

The best thing about the area is the lack of other tourists - mostly only Portuguese go there. The food is great and its a really great escape.

Even though you don't like cities, you have to see Lisbon and there I can highly recommend the Pestana Palace for a very special stay.

http://tinyurl.com/2zjkh4

...and it often has great rates.

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your quick reply Lawchick and I will check out the links you so kindly provided. ?This was a last minute change in destination as of last night - we had air tickets booked for 5 weeks in Asia flying into Bangkok but the Canadian government has a travel alert on recommending no non-essential travel there. So any and all help would be much appreciated as it will be our first time in Portugal.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

lawchick - the ? is a typo when I hit my shift key. I am typing with one finger as my one broken wrist is in a cast. I looked at both links - the Pestana in particular looked wonderful and we will try to book some time there. How many days there till we exhaust the area? Also, what is in the area of the Alentejo - we were not intending to rent a car (should we?)and it looks nice but maybe out of the way?
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:49 AM
lawchick

You need a car in the Alentejo. It is out of the way.

You don't need one in Lisbon. 3 days in Lisbon should do you.

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If you haven't already, I suggest you read the threads entitled Things to do in and around Lisbon (inc Portugal). Part III is found here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34816717

It contains links to Part I and Part II. Two Fodors posters, Matt and Lobo, live in Lisbon and have been answering lots of questions and making suggestions on these threads. They also have started the Lisbon Dining Club, providing opportunities for visitors to this message board to have dinner with them in characteristic Lisbon restaurants. These outings are described here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34817677

By reading the above threads, you will also find links to trip reports by several people who have traveled through Portugal recently.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks Lawchick.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

I will check out the links Nikki. I did read a bit about the LDC which sounds very interesting and we will see if one of their get togethers meshes with our few days in Lisbon.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM

I've been doing some hotel-hunting in Portugal lately and have come across a couple of websites with good looking places: wonderfulland.com turihab.pt and secretplaces.com all have small inns and renovated old houses/farms/manors. And the Pousada rates are pretty low in February.

In three weeks, you can see a lot of Portugal, and I second the suggestion of the Alentejo, for scenery, history, good food and wine. I think renting a car is the best way to do it, and there are a lot of people who post here who have had good luck with car rentals in Portugal. carjet.co.uk seems to have the lowest prices right now -- I just booked a 4 day rental in March for about 72E. It's not a huge car, but not the smallest either.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot lreynold1. The suggestions and referrals will be very helpful. I will try to arrange a car well before we leave and our first 2-3 nights hotel as I am given to understand there will be plenty of rooms to be had everywhere at this time. And I hope our budget will allow for the odd night here and there at a Pousada. Anything of interest, I will post on my return.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:21 AM

there are lots of intereting places not to far from Lisbon, sintra is lovely. the ribatejo region has great historic villages a nd towns to explore. some good cheap hotels and pensions from 30euros near where we live at Tomar. drop me a line if you want more info.
some good pictures and info on the central region on this site. its a property website but does have loads of usefull info for the traveller too.
www.gekkohomes.com
have a great trip
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

omostra06
thanks for your post. When you say drop you a line I take it that means to post a reply on the forum? In any case, yes I would greatly appreciate any more info you can provide. Especially about good places to stay and to eat in smaller cities/towns/villages because we would like to just stay 2 or maybe 3 nights at any one place and bop around the region in our rental car. Maybe even take a cruise or the steam train I read about in the posts (though it appears doubtful it is running at this time of year) for a couple/three days. We like a queen sized bed or more, very clean and would like to average $100.00 USD maximum per night for our 3 weeks including at least a few nights at Pousadas which are a tad pricey, even at this time of year. We look to make it as much an adventure as can, though an operation for a broken wrist and some damage to my elbows which is not healing quite right means we can't get too carried away - nor can I slug luggage.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:28 AM

i would suggest a visit to the town of Tomar, it is a world heritage site with probably the best castle in portugal on top of the hill behind the old town.convento do cristo. lovely place to stay to visit the area would be the hotel dos templarios in Tomar, rooms from 60 euros for this 4 star hotel or there are a few pensions small hotels from 30 euros a night, there are a lot interesting places to visit near the town from Roman ruins and castles to nature reserves, caves and lakes.
some places to stay
www.hoteldostemplarios.pt
www.estalagemiria.com
www.residencialtrovador.pa-met.pt
or check the tourist info site at
www.tomartourism.com
pics and info on
http://www.gekkohomes.com/centralportugal.htm

www.residencialuniaoverportugal.com
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much omostra06!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM

no problem glad to help, just let me know if you want any more info.