Help - Cheap Paris eats for teens and their parents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off to Paris and Venice for 11 days next week. One of my main concern is my 3 daughters (ages 18, 19 and 23) and food: they are very picky eaters, and we don't want to spend a lot of money for kids who don't appreciate fine food! (though my H. and I would love to eat well but inexpensively in Paris -- perhaps another trip, lol!)

We are staying in the 5th, but could use suggestions for fun cheap cafes, bistrots, etc. with good selections (!) in the 5th, 6th, 7th, Ile St. Louis, and the Marais.

Just to give you an idea: one D. is an "almost" vegetarian (will eat occasional chicken); one D. is a bit more adventurous, and likes some ethnic stuff; and the 3rd D. is a total pain -- likes steak, but doesn't like ethnic, sauces, fish, you name it! I'm thinkin omelets, salads, steak/frites, onion soup -- boring stuff. Perhaps I'll just have them eat bread and desserts all week??

How to please us all???
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Maybe it is just me, but when I took my children on trips, they were expected to eat whatever was available, within reason. We are almost vegetarian, no red meat at all. Wherever you go in Paris and (I am told) in Italy, there are wonderful pastas, salads and veggies. They will grow from the experience, when they go home they can be picky again
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:41 PM

there are books named Cheap Eats in Paris etc..
The more you browse these boards the more places you can find.
The best cheap eat we found was Le Petit Benoit on rue Benoit in the 6th.
I have always found Italian food in Paris to be excellent.
Cafes make good omelets and sandwiches and crepes can be found everywhere.
Since your daughters are certainly old enough, they can do some of their own research and find out what will appeal to them and they can be on the lookout themselves..thus making them feel more in control ( a big issue at those ages
Good luck and don't worry too much, once they are there, you will be surprised how well everyone does.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 12:45 PM
ira

Dear J,

>my main concern is my 3 daughters (ages 18, 19 and 23) and food: they are very picky eaters...<

May I suggest that your children are all young adults: give them some money and let them go out and eat?

You and DH can then enjoy your evening.

If you make reservations at http://www.flobrasseries.com/resa/en/
you get 15% off the bill.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

<<Maybe it is just me, but when I took my children on trips, they were expected to eat whatever was available, within reason>>

Ouch, Scarlett, I'm sure I deserved that. But I have NO idea why they are so picky; my H. and I are not. (though he was that way as a child) However, I have never forced them to eat what they don't like, only to taste. And they have not changed their tastes, yet. (still hoping). Also, Scarlett, "Cheap Eats" is no longer called that; it's called "Great Eats" and it's not so cheap!

Thanks for the suggestions. Creperies would be good; also, fondue. I really don't want to eat Italian in Paris, since we are then off to Venice.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM

I agree - they are adults. When I read "picky eaters" it's usually referring to 3 year olds. If they were 3, 8 and 9 I'd spend time worrying about this. Not at their age.

Have them pack Power-Bars or whatever other meal replacement bars they might like - in their own bags (not yours!). When the group is hungry, stop at a cafe or bistro and order something to eat and drink. I can't imagine their not finding a sandwich or salad or soup or crepe on the menu to their liking. If they can't, have them eat their Power-Bar and you and hubby enjoy your meal. If they are spoiling your meal, have them duck into a nearby shop or two to wander while you enjoy your meal.

LOTS of cheap food in your area of Paris. Greek, Italian, French, etc.

Don't get mad...but don't enable them. Don't try to "please us all". Try to enjoy them as adults on this trip - not "kids". Tney AREN'T "kids".
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:09 PM

There are many cheap cafes and bistros in that area, and many have a lot of similar food choices. There is a variety on any menu.

I agree your children are all adults and I assume manage to feed themselves in their daily life (unless they are still all at home and you cook every meal for them). I'd go to regular cheaper French cafes and let them choose what they want. If they decide they don't like anything, too bad, they can go hungry. I wouldn't give them a second thought if I were you, they aren't going to starve. If they just like junk food, more or less (pizza, etc), let them go off by themselves to the really cheap tourist places where they can eat sandwiches or takeout walking around (ie, around bd St Michel), and go off to have dinner in a regular place with just your husband.

I can't even imagine my mother worrying about what I'm going to want to eat in a restaurant when we went out when I was that age.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Yikes! Enough already. Suitably chastened. Never to post here again. Just wanted CHEAP restaurant suggestions!!!! Sorry I gave "too much information."
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Any cafe/brasserie will have roasted chicken with fries or a big salad plate (ie. "salade supreme&quot. It's easy to find pizza, quiche, salads, bagette sandwiches, even (gasp!!) KFC if that's what it takes! There's a cafeteria by les Halles called "Flunch" which has quite edible food, sodas with ice, even little bottles of wine, and is always filled with families (at least that was all true a couple of years ago). There's a restaurant called "Relais de l'Entrocote" in the 6th where you line up (no resvs) for steak and fries, that's it, nuthin' else, but it's supposed to be very good. And you definitely need to turn them loose for a couple of afternoon/evenings so you can go to a nice restaurant and relax. They are positively old enough to wander around (provide each person with a card showing their hotel name, address and phone, just in case a taxi is needed).
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Jude, this is sent with very kind regards - please DO enjoy your trip with your young adult daughters and allow them to be adults rather than "kids". It will result in a much more enjoyable trip for everyone. I recently posted a reference to my travels with my mom as a young adult and we did GREAT until she got stressed and went back into "Mom mode". I did not travel with her for years after - and am thrilled to say that we just enjoyed a very nice trip together in her 76th year. I know you feel chastised - but we weren't mean. There is a consensus here and I realize it may not be something you want or are ready to hear. Consider the input anyway. I think it will make a huge difference on this memory making vacation for your family - and perhaps to years to come.

And, please do post again.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM

jude, after reading what your daughters will and will not eat, I don't think you'll have much trouble getting them fed. Picky is what MY two teenagers are, to the point that I no longer cook for them! (They forage for themselves and seeing that neither of them has come down with berri berri or scurvy, I think they're doing alright.) But I can see that if you and your husband are taking your girls to Europe with you (instead of leaving them at home like we do with our kids!) then you probably would LIKE to eat dinner with them, and not leave them to their own devices.

So. I don't think you will have too much trouble making all of them happy because French menus have all different kinds of foods and a nice selection. Better still, the menus are posted outside so you can take a look first, and decide among yourselves if it will work for you. The prices are clearly listed, too. You might have the good fortune to find a restaurant you all like within half an hour of walking around, or you might find yourselves walking for hours. Don't sweat it--we all do that (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise). Good cheap eats are found in the Latin Quarter where the students live. Another good place is on St. Andre des Arts and the streets around there. You can also use the search box here because everyone on Fodors is very good about spreading the news about good food in Paris. One last thing--you didn't say what your level of French proficiency is, but if it's not good, bring a dictionary so you'll know what you're eating.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Forgot to add: check out www.eatinparis.com, which is an online restaurant guide. You can sort by type of cuisine, neighborhood, etc. It's a pretty handy website.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

mermaid! Thanks so much for your answer. You are a doll! Nice to know I don't have the only picky kids in the world, or even on this board. (whether they should be considered adults or not!) And yes, we WOULD rather eat with them, as this is a trip we have been planning for some time, and it is not likely to be repeated (my husband and I have been to Paris and Italy before, starred restaurants and all, and are willing to forego the gourmet experience in favor of one last family vacation to some place very special)

Anyway, just wanted some ideas for CHEAP places that are also good ("finds" if you will), since there are five of us, and we don't only want to eat street food, etc.

Thanks, again!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:22 PM

I would sinply pick reasonable restaruants that you will enjoy that serve a variety of dishes. If the prima donnas can;t find what they like - send them off to find something on their own. It will help them grow up!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:24 PM

I would simply pick reasonable restaurants that you will enjoy and that serve a variety of dishes. If the prima donnas can;t find what they like - send them off to find something on their own. It will help them grow up!
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM

judebarsto,
If I sounded a bit harsh, I really don't think of 18-19-23 yr olds being children and needing mom and dad to find something that suits their pick eating habits.

The best research might be using the Zagat Guide to Paris, that gives you prices and there is a Teen Appeal section as well as Family Style and in your case maybe Child Friendly

The wonderful thing about being in Paris is wherever you go, there is somewhere to eat. We always have lists and lists and when we get there, the list is forgotten and we discover a new place that becomes our favorite until the next trip.
I didn't think when I said Italian, but in a pinch with a picky eater, pasta sometimes works..wherever you may be.
Good luck~
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:17 PM

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/0811818136?...

this should take you to Sandra Gustafson and Cheap Eats in Paris
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Go wherever there is a concentration of restaurants and check out the menus -- around Beaubourg, around Boul' Mich' in the Latin Quarter, etc. etc.

Surely the best option is to check out menus "sur place" -- everyone can be consulted but you have fallbacks all around.

I think the advice you got was tendered quite respectfully and fell within the limits of fair and relevant comment.

Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Scarlett, I've reread this thread more than once. Jude got great advice from you and Ira, two of the most respected voices on this board.

Christina and Travelnut also provided input and suggestions.

No one was mean - we just pointed out the obvious.

Methinks we hit a nerve.

Two personal connections come to mind - a 28 year old who is virtually a non-functional adult and still depends on daily parental input. A 30 something year old who has no contact with the parent because the parent can not accept the child is adult.

Regardless, I wish the family luck on their trip.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:51 PM

When I first glanced at your post I thought that you were talking about young children...My goodness your babies are adults now and I am certain that they can make their own choice of what kind of food they would like to eat..
My goodness when I was 23 years old I was married with 2 children and lived in a foreign country the other side of the world, far away from my family .

Your daughters are going to be fine..just let them make their own decisions..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -