Help! Car rental - hatchback vs trunk

Apr 19th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Help! Car rental - hatchback vs trunk

My DH and I are trying to decide what car to rent - particularly if we should get a trunk vs hatchback car. We will be stopping and seeing various areas in Tuscany and Umbria (Chianti, Pienza, Orvieto, Todi) and we will need to leave luggage in the car. Should we worry about having a hatchback? We will have 2 medium suitcases and 2 small carry ons. We prefer automatic but the selection isn't very good for automatics or for trunk models. Also is there any particular car you recommend? Advice appriciated!!
Apr 19th, 2005, 12:29 PM

I would get one with a trunk so people can't see your luggage. Doesn't really matter what kind of car, a compact would probably be fine.
Apr 19th, 2005, 01:07 PM

agree re trunk vs hatch
get as small as possible but with enough power for the motor ways taking into account aircon and auto
Apr 19th, 2005, 01:16 PM
hsv

I don't think it matters. One cannot see the luggage in the trunk of a hatchback either as there is a lid in every make I know.
Apr 19th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Practically all hatchbacks we've rented have covers you pull over the luggage so someone can't see in. We always back the car up against a tree, lightpost, or wall so the trunk can not physically be opened. That's easier to do with a hatchback.

You can hide the luggage better with a trunk, but protect it better with a hatchback.

Stu Dudley
Apr 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM
P_M

I was robbed once in Canada when someone broke into my rental car. They got the stuff out of the glove box and from the seats, nothing of any real value. Thankfully we had a car with a trunk which they were unable to get into without a key. This saved us from losing everything. I will never again rent a car with a hatchback.
Apr 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM

We always get the smallest/cheapest with a stick. It always has a lid on the storage area...Just don't leave AMYTHING out---like maps,etc. We paid a premium for a/c in Portugal in Sept. & never turned it on...Just open the windows. You are not going to be in the car that much anyway...There are lots more goodies to spend $$ on than transport.
Apr 21st, 2005, 04:40 PM

You can't always be guaranteed a particular vehicle. You rent a class of car which could vary between hatch and trunk. Though as others have pointed out and I do beleive the hatchbacks I've always been given did have covers. Yes manual trans is cheaper and better for driving in Europe, especially if you're doing any mountain driving. Have a great trip.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so far for the responses. I haven't had a hatchback car model since my 76 Toyota Celica which didn't have a cover. Do the hatchback covers now make it impossible to tell that you have luggage?
Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM

Yes, eurolady, every hatchback cover I've seen in the past few years totally hides any luggage.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM

You may find that cars with real trunks aren't readily available--many European models now seem to come only in hatchbacks, except for the very expensive cars (i.e., Mercedes-Benz, BMW).