Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP ASAP: 1st timer booking Paris hotel & can't decide...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are torn between these hotels. All seem to have good review, so I am searching for rescent personal experience. I have done a text search but haven't rescent info on some. <BR><BR>It is our 1st time in Paris (Europe) and we are celebrating our Anniversary. We are staying 4 nights in April &amp; looking for charm, romance, clean, in a good area, walking distance to nightlife, but not too super noisy to sleep. Under $150 a night. Anything with a view/balcony would just be a great perk.<BR><BR>Here are the choices....Please help with any personal advice/experience in the area or with hotel. Where &amp; why did you like it. Anything better I'm missing? Many thanks.<BR><BR>Any good sites to book on?<BR><BR>1) Hotel Delavigne (Latin Q)<BR>2) Hotel de Banville (how out of the way is it really? <BR>3) Hotel St Paul (Latin Q)<BR>4) Hotel Axial Beaubourg<BR><BR>THANKS!!!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:18 AM

what kind of nightlife are you looking for? you might try looking up Pariscope and then doing a criss-cross map check to your potential locations to see if any hotels are geographically unacceptable aafor the bars, etc that you find. check out reviews for st. germain and Marais hotels thru the search function here and you will get many hits.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

yes, i've done a search but i am trying to narrow down and just wanted to see if anyone has been to any of these rescently...thanks for the info.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:37 AM

We're staying at the Hotel de Banville in May, but I suspect that the things we look for in a Paris hotel/location might be different than someone who's visiting for the first time. The neighborhood is very quiet and residential, and while the Metro connections are good, I get the sense that you might prefer being in a livelier area, closer to many of Paris' key attractions.<BR><BR>I haven't stayed at the Hotel du Pantheon (friends have recommended it), but it may meet your requirements. You might also consider any of the three hotels on the Ile St. Louis, which would put you in a very quiet neighborhood that is an easy walk from two livelier quartiers (the Marais and the Latin Quarter, also convenient to St. Germain).<BR><BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

elle,<BR><BR>thanks for the info. the rooms looked so romantic at Banville, but yes, we are looking for a livelier area...it's the toss up we debate. Have a nice stay.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:36 PM

Hi baemel-<BR>We are going to Paris for the first time as well in March (you responded to my post about the restaurants!), and we are staying at Le Clos Medicis, in St Germaine, a very centrally located hotel that sounds very cool! We obviously haven't stayed there yet, but you may want to look it up and see what you think! A great sight is www.tripadvisor.com
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:37 PM

What I meant was a great website (not sight!)
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:40 PM

I've recommend the Hotel Saint-Thomas d'Aquin to several friends who have come to stay with me. It's very clean and in a very very good location, just in the 7th from the 6th by rue de l'Universite and 5 minutes from the Musee d'Orsay, SGDP. It is very reasonable and over the past 10 years, the prices really haven't gone up that much. And for a 2 star, it's one of the best I can think of in Paris. If you want a good place for the value and really don't care all that much about having a huge, huge room and en suite bathroom, you may want to consider this. Hope it helps. Metro would be either Saint-Germain-des-Pres or rue du Bac.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Website: http://www.01-stay-in-paris-hotels.c...mas-daquin.htm
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks EyeSpy...looks pretty good.<BR><BR>The rooms do not have their own bathroom?? That's a must for us. <BR><BR>Are their cafes, bars very near?<BR><BR>Thanks for the recommendation!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:40 PM

The rooms DO have their own bathrooms. I think you will enjoy your stay there because of the quality and cleanliness of the establishment and it doesn't break the bank. Also, the area is wonderful and you will very much enjoy that. YOu can walk to so many places from there. Get on the Pont des Beaux-Arts and walk to the Louvre! Go window shopping on Boulevard Saint-Germain. Watch the smartly dressed poli. sci students come out of class at the Institut des Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences-Po) on rue Saint-Guillaume and take a coffee where they all do -- at the cafe on the corner of rue Saint-Guillaume and rue de la Chaise. Loud, noisy but very Parisian. There's one waiter in there who's been there for years! Have fun!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Sold. Thanks so much EyeSpy.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

topping for the evening....
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Maira

It's refreshing to see a post that reflects a careful review of previously posted info, narrowed-down choices, and clear about what they are looking for. <BR><BR>Congratulations on the upcoming happy ocassion! I don't have experience with any of the hotels you listed , but want to recommend the following website:<BR><BR>http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/rc.cgi?lang=en<BR><BR>when you type in the name and/or address of the establishment (in Paris), it will show pictures of the place and of the street where is located. Fun site. Have a great time!!

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the site tip!