COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Best Area of Paris for Hotel?

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Best Area of Paris for Hotel?

My wife and son and I are planning to be in Paris for three days this summer and I am looking for advice of where to stay. I want to be in a safe/quiet area that is near major sites and metro. Also, any suggested hotels? We would like to find a relatively nice hotel on a quiet, romantic street for less than $300 per night. Thanks for your advice.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:02 AM
pop

Your criteria is rather easy to meet so the choices are unlimited. The Paris metro is excellent and you are rarely very far from a station. You need to narrow your coices considerably as virtually all districts (arrondissements) have some safe/quite areas, obviously some more than others. The less than $300/night will also be easy to meet. I recommend you repost a question after you have narrowed your choices.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Ian

fullcount

As pop says . . .

Many people opt for left bank hotels - 5th, 6th & 7th arrondissements. All have hotels that are an easy walk to major attractions & within your budget.

Use the Fodor's Hotel guide & narrow it down.

My fave so far is the Relais Saint-Jacques - Rue De L'abbe De Leppe - Room 602.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:10 AM

Hi
good advice above.
I am a fan of staying in the 1st (near the Louvre) but I wouldn't call the streets there romantic. I'd suggest you focus your hotel search on the 6th or the 4th. The 6th is both chic and charming at the same time. The 4th contains some of the oldest parts of Paris, the Marais area. Lots of narrow winding streets. However, you have a wider hotel selection in the 6th: do a search on this message board, or elsewhere on fodors. com for hotels such as the d'Aubusson (one of my favorites), le Regent, Relais St Germain, etc. In the 4th, Caron de Beaumarchais is a charming small hotel, but the rooms are on average pretty small as well, and your budget gives you greater flexibility in choosing.

I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:23 AM

We also always stay in the 6th. Our favorite hotel is "Buci Latin". Lots of restaurants in area, lots of sightseeing, street food market 10 steps away. You don't say how old your son is, but we got babysitter from hotel and she was just fine. Its good to stay in walking distance from major sights.