HELP! Amalfi Coast Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are travelling from Rome to the Amalfi Coast Region from June 8-15. We don't want to change hotels too much. What would be a really good base to explore the area? Sorrento/positano/ravello/amalfi/salerno? We plan on visiting the islands of capri and ischia as well. Should we plan to stay there or just make day trips? Any suggestions for nicer hotels (<$350.00/night)? What is the best way to get to the area from Rome? Should we rent a car?
HELP! any must-sees in the area?
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM

Others will differ, but Sorrento makes an ideal base for exploring. A great little city in its own right, there are convenient ferries to Capri, Positano and Amalfi, and a short train ride to Pompeii (highly recommended). You can reach Sorrento by train rather easily (circumvensuvia). No car is necessary, and in fact is a detriment. Call Aldo if you want a reliable taxi driver! The only "nicer" hotel is the Grand Vitoria, which is really grand, but quite expensive. Remember, these days $350 = 200 euros or so.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your input. Should I just stay in Sorrento the entire time?
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:31 PM

If price isn't a big deal, take the train from Rome to Naples and get a driver the rest of the way to where ever you want to stay (I found dragging our bags on the circumvensuvia a big pain, plus if you decide to go beyond Sorrento, its the bus from there). Don't bother with a car, take the bus or ferry between towns.

We loved Positano. For a nicer hotel, many recommend Le Sirenuse. I have not stayed on Capri, but many here recommend an overnight stay. I would pick one city as a base (probably not Ravello because of access) and you could easily do an overnight to Capri with the time you have.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Sorrento is more convenient, esp. if you plan on visiting Pompeii ( 30 minutes by train) and Ischia, which is closest to Naples. But it is also a small city with tons of traffic, tour groups,and Fish n Chip restaurants. I think Positano is much more atmospheric and charming, even though it has plenty of crowds in the summer months, too.

Our favorite hotel in the area is the family-run, 4-star Hotel Poseidon, which is a few blocks uphill from the grander and much more expensive (!!) Le Sirenuse. The views from the hotel are exceptional, as are the food and service. We've stayed in a junior suite there that had sweeping views over town- pure magic.

Another hotel in Positano that I'd recommend highly, and which is cheaper is ALBERGO MIRAMARE, and also BUCCO DI BACCO ( I might have that name spelled wrong), down the hill, closer to town and the covered bazaar.

If you stay in Positano, have your hotel arrange lunch or dinner in Montepertuso, a mountain village close to Positano. There are several restaurants there which are fantastic, and the views are gorgeous!

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

i can't tell you all how much i appreciate the great advice. I may have a few more questions...