Amalfi Coast - Where to Stay?

Old Feb 28th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast - Where to Stay?

We will be in the Amalfi Coast for 3 nights in mid May and looking for somewhere to stay. We were supposed to stay at the Punta Regina but they only have standard rooms left. We are now looking for another place potentially in Positano, Praiano or Sorrento. Any suggestions?

It will be two young couples so we want a place that has more current hotel rooms, and close to restaurants and places to go in the evening. We are potentially leaning towards Praiano. If we did, would it still be easy to do a night out in Positano? We had seen a place called Music on the Rocks.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 04:20 AM
HKP

Sorrento was a perfect choice for us. Reachable by train from Naples but connected to the rest of Amalfi area by bus and boat. Large enough to have a lot of choices re: lodging and cafes but not a city atmosphere. Gorgeous views, easy trip to Capri, Pompeii, Et.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 04:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've not stayed in Praiano or Positano, but I just spent a week in Sorrento and I think that it offers most if not all that you want.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 05:28 AM

Never stayed in Praino, so can't comment. For a centrally located, beautiful spot on the AC and access to public bus transportation, I'd pick Positano. You can also get to Capri from there by ferry or private boat if that's in your plans for a day trip.

Sorrento is OK. Technically and geographically, it's not part of the AC, but has pretty good transportation to AC towns. It's larger and less quaint than most of the towns on the AC. All depends on what you're looking for.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 06:57 AM

Taxis from Praiano to Positano will be kind of expensive (I am guessing 15-20e minimum one way, although the distance is just a few miles) and bus service will be limited at night in May.

If you do decide to stay in Praiano, however, your best bet might be Casa Angelina....very hip, modern hotel with lovely location built into the cliff face over the sea. Ask them if they could arrange transport to Positano at night.

http://www.casangelina.com/

I'd probably stay in Positano or Sorrento for nightlife. I'm curious as to why you are leaning toward Praiano...some tourists chose that area to get away from the "action" and crowds of Positano...
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 07:47 AM
ekc

I would choose Positano (and always do), for its fantastic views, good beaches, great ferry transportation to other villages, scenery, restaurant selections and night life. Not sure if Music on the Rocks will be open in mid-May (you can check their website) there are other bars and places you can hang out after dinner.

Use www.venere.com to choose a hotel based on your budget - just be sure it isn't too far up the hill! I can recommend Hotel Poseidon if it is within your budget.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 09:02 AM

We stayed in Positano last May and loved it! We arrived without reservations and found Positano Villa Flavio Gioia. Nice, not too far from the water, but many steps up to the road. No problem even with luggage and I am 66 years old. It was very clean and a nice size room with a small kitchenette which I never used. Our room was not available the entire length of our stay, so the desk clerk arranged another room at
La Caravella Positano. It is located right on the water. The only negative to this hotel is there is no lobby and no full time desk clerk. But we had no problems and loved it too.

I arrived late into Sorrento and the bus had already made it last run to Positano. So I paid 35€ for a taxi.

The ferry to Amalfi and Capri is convenient. One day we took a bus trip to Sorrento for the day. The ride alone was amazing! I actually prefer Positano over Sorrento.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 12:33 PM
WWK

I wouldn't stay in Praiano. It's just too remote, and expensive to get back and forth after dark. I'm not sure what you mean by "current" hotel rooms, since most of the hotels and B&B's in the area are comfortable, even luxurious, but not particularly modern.

Anyway, I think you should look in Positano, which is the quintessential Amalfi Coast town. Mid-May/early June is my favorite time to go there because you miss some of the heavier summer crowds.

If you post your budget, we can help with recommendations.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 12:36 PM

If staying on the coast itself eschew Sorrento as a base - it's a nice enough watering hole but in no way can compare in romance to the seaside Amalfi towns - Positano - I really like Amalfi itself and buses go constantly along the coast so you can visit towns easily - in summer take boats as well.

Now if wanting to see Capri and Pompeii then Sorrento makes a much more sensible base IMO. Utilitarian - cutting travel time and costs.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 04:54 PM
HKP

lizawarring, please check in and let us know your thoughts, plans.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! We want to feel like we are on the Amalfi coast which was one of the reasons we were going to not stay in Sorrento. A lot of positive reviews of Positano and Sorrento though - Praiano was a thought because the prices were lower but seemed to be an intimate town. I think for us who are first time travelers in this area, one of the main cities may be better. I've been to Capri/Sorrento but it was for a short weekend studying abroad about 12 years ago.

Positano is coming back with very limited availabilty or high in price for the week that we are going - May 12th. An option that we are looking into now is Amalfi at the Hotel Marina Riviera. Any suggestions for this place would be appreciated!
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 09:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Liz, I've not stayed there [or anywhere in Amalfi] but judging by its location and the reviews on TA, it should be a good place to stay.

It's out of my budget though!
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 10:22 AM

I loved staying in Amalfi and that hotel is very well located and gets good reports.

Praiano is really not a town in the sense that there is a well defined town center..much of it is strung out along the Amalfi Drive. I would much rather stay in Amalfi, given that the hotels were in the same category. I can highly recommend the Hotel Floridiana in Amalfi for a place with lovely service that is a very good value. It is not on the sea, however.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 03:10 PM

We had a similar dilemma - where to stay - Positano, Amalfi, Sorrento, other? We have been to the area several times and decided on this place for the end of our visit to Italy (Rome, Tuscany and Sorrento).

Here is where we decided to are stay: http://villalaterrazza.com/.