Search

Which is the better base-Sorrento or Positano

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the better base-Sorrento or Positano

Hi all,

Which would you say is the better base-Sorrento or Positano. My priority is to cover the amalfi coast drive and capri. I have set aside 4 days to cover all this. i will be travelling from rome. which is the best way to connect to either of these two bases from Rome? how much time in sorrento or positano is required and what's the best way to capri after that? thks.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 08:49 AM

Do your 4 days include travel days to and from Rome? Assuming you are using public transportation, not driving, you get from Rome to Sorrento by taking the train to Naples, then switching inside the station to the commuter train, the Circumvesuviana, which goes to Sorrento. To continue on to Positano, you must then take a SITA bus. Both towns have boats that go to Capri. Sorrento is also a good place from which to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum; you backtrack on the Circumvesuviana a few stops. Sorrento is also a pretty little town, bigger than and less expensive than Positano.

However, given that you don't mention Pompeii, base yourself in Positano. Two days should be plenty for sightseeing the Amalfi coast.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM

<My priority is to cover the amalfi coast drive and capri.>

If you are driving, I would guess Positano would be a better choice for covering the Amalfi Coast road. If you are bussing, I think Sorrento is the better choice. If you are boating, and for Capri, it is a toss up.

<how much time in sorrento or positano is required and what's the best way to capri after that?>

How much time depends on what you want to do in each place. Last year, we spent 5 days doing very little but sunning, eating, wandering and a little day tripping from Positano and I found it perfect.

Several years ago, a few nights in Sorrento were fine for using it as a jumping off point for Capri and walking around Sorrento. As you can see, the type of trip you have in mind is really what will determine how much time "is required."

Neither of these places is chock full of artistic or historic treasures. They are resort areas. I am not sure where you are from, but it is almost akin to asking how much time is required for Key West or Santa Barbara, California. There aren't any requirements, just how much time you would like to spend in beautiful resort towns where the scenery is great and the food is delicious.

We had a great hotel in Positano with a wonderful pool, gorgeous scenery and great food. I could have stayed forever if the budget would allow.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:26 AM

I forgot to add that there is only one way to Capri after either Sorrento or Positano or anywhere else. Boat. Do a search here and you will find links to several transportation sites.

I also suggest reading some trip reports on the area and a good guide book or two. I get the sense that you may want to be more familiar with what to expect.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM

I vote for Positano. Then call Francesco Marrapese to drive you around. He is an excellent driver and tour guide. He is a tall, dark, and handsome dreamboat who knows his stuff. He will take you all over the coast for a reasonable cost. We used his services as a driver from the train station in Naples and also as tour guide for the coast.You will never want to leave Positano! It is lovely. www.francescomarrapese.com