HELP! 2 days in Ireland - What to do?!?

May 1st, 2003, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

HELP! 2 days in Ireland - What to do?!?

We are heading over for a week in May. My husband has work in Dublin. We are flying in and out of there. We've been before and have covered most of what Dublin has to offer. While he's working, I will probably take bus trips outside the city.

However, the two of us will have two days together and are wondering what to do. We are considering the Midlands area (Newgrange, Clonmacnoise, etc) and the Wicklow area. We like countryside, history and heritage. HELP!!!!!!!
May 1st, 2003, 09:47 AM

Nancy, I've done Ireland thoroughly a few times. My favorite is south of Dublin. Glendalough, Rock of Cashel, the Waterford factory if that interests you, Avoca. There is a "living history" Irish National Heritage Park near Wexford that is very nice though built for tourists.
Diana
May 1st, 2003, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

What about Newgrange? Too touristy?
May 1st, 2003, 01:27 PM
Ardfert

Newgrange is a very special place.It was built around 3200BC and is quite small-they made no provision for parking cars 5200 years later.However it gets 200,000 visitors every year and is well worth a visit.See www.knowth.com for pictures.Go early in the day or on a tour as otherwise you may not get in there at all.

May 2nd, 2003, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Would you stay in Dublin and motor out or stay closer to Newgrange? How would one go about finding a place to stay out that way?
May 2nd, 2003, 06:47 AM

I would not stay out by newgrange as there is not much else in the area. You could drive there as a day trip and it is fascinating but after 2 ours there you are finished. Stay south near Glendolough or Powerscourt and see Wicklow. There are more sights southside that are worth going to in my opinion.
May 2nd, 2003, 07:27 AM

Nancy:

Dublin is a more expensive place to stay than outside the city. If I were staying in Dublin and going to Newgrange, I would probably take a tour. I wouldn't want to have a car in the city. The other problem with a car is that some companies won't let you rent for less than three days. I haven't figured that one out yet.

Bill
May 2nd, 2003, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone successfully rented a car in Ireland for less than two days?
May 2nd, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - I meant for three days or less!
May 2nd, 2003, 12:04 PM

Yes

Nova a consolidator will rent for two days. See www.rentacar-ireland.com