Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Carcassonne-can you recommend a restaurant for us?

Apr 29th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

We will be taking a daytrip to Carcassonne in May and would like to have some restaurant recommendations. I have done a search and not found a single reference to restaurants there, is it possible no one eats in this midieval town. We would like regional cuisine, not necessarily a starred resto but something in the Cite that you considered special. Thanks, I am hoping someone can help me. Deborah
Apr 29th, 2003, 05:09 AM

Restaurants in the medieval city are almost exclusively there to cater to tourists. The only one I can think of that's at all special is Les Fontaines du Soleil, which has a nice patio dining area that is hidden from view. The Brasserie du Donjon is a good brasserie, too. There are some good restaurants in the lower town, including Le Languedoc and Restaurant La Divine Comédie, both serving classic regional cuisine - they're not terribly fancy, though, just pleasant, local places with very good food.
Apr 29th, 2003, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the information St.Cirq, I knew you'd have some good advise. We are hoping to avoid the tourist hordes by choosing to visit Carcassonne in May, on a weekday, visiting early in the morning, leave to tour some of the villages in the area you had recommended on this forum and then come back in the evening for dinner and walk the walls at night. We are staying at a gite in Loubens Lauragais.I saw a website for the resto Auberge du Grand Puits and was considering that but not sure. We are looking forward to exploring in and around Carcassonne. thanks again, Deborah
Apr 29th, 2003, 05:33 AM

I found Carcassonne very disappointing. We spent two nights there which was too long. I'm not normally opposed to being in tourist areas as I figure I'm a tourist too, but the whole place seemed like a low grade amusement park to me with so many cheap souvenier shops and absolutely jammed with people. Most of the places around the big square just seemed like real tourist traps. Certainly the restaurant at Le Cite Hotel is outstanding, albeit expensive. We also had a very peaceful and nice dinner (busy at lunch too we noticed) in a garden sort of area right opposite Le Cite Hotel. Tables were well spread out and the food was very good.
Apr 29th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Patrick, I have previously read your comments regarding Carcassonne and that is one of the reasons I have modified the times we are visiting the city, I am keeping an open mind about Carcassonne as I have always wanted to visit the old city and if its beauty from afar is even partially echoed on the inside I will be happy. Thanks for your comments, Deborah
Apr 29th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Good attitude, Deborah Ann. Perhaps having been given a little negative feedback before going, you won't be so disappointed as I was. I went with unbelievably high expectations having seen it in pictures and expecting a WHOLE LOT. Do enjoy it!
May 2nd, 2003, 12:30 PM

I also am planning to visit Carcassonne in May for the first time. Here in London there is always tons of info for the UK market who travel to France frequently. In a recent London Times supplement the famous chef Raymond Blanc recommended Hotel de la Cite in Carcassonne too, it just won a Michelin star. Tel +33 4 68 71 98 71. He also suggests Le Moulin de Mogins, 2 Michelin stars, Tel +33 4 93 75 78 24.