Search

Please help with city sequence....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help with city sequence....

Hi,
I found airfare round trip from Fla that allows me to fly into rome, fly out of venice for 660 rt for dates the end of sept to mid oct. My question(s) is this a good price?, plus if I can, would you go rome-florence-venice or venice- florence-romec for that time frame? We are planning for a 2 week trip. Thanks for your help. ~paula
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:43 PM

When are you going? If you are heading into summer, start in Rome and finish in Venice where it is cooler.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bugswife,
We are leaving the last of sept to mid october. Does that make a difference? Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Maira

Paula, that is a very good fare and a great time to go to Italy. I go along with bugswife, start with Rome where there is considerable amount of walking and sights and tempered off on to Venice with a more relaxed tempo. Have the best time!

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:28 PM

Hi Paula. Here are a couple considerations.

First, are you a "save the best for last" kind of person...or the opposite? Others may certainly differ -- and I LOVE Rome -- but find Venice "better", if only because it's so unique (no cars!) and almost otherworldly.

Second, I would guess almost everyone would agree that Venice is a more relaxing, less hectic, city than Rome. While there are hordes of tourists, there aren't hordes of cars or motorscooters. So, if you tend to suffer from serious jetlag, you might prefer flying into Venice as a way to better ease-in to your Italian adventure.

All-in-all, though, you can't go wrong either way; they're both wonderful cities.

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help capo....I usually keep going the first day because if I take a nap I'm done. One of my main consdiderations is the weather. Which is better weatherwise at the end of the trip mid October, Venice or Rome? Thanks
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:19 PM

You're welcome, Paula. I'd think that Rome, being further south, would *tend* to have warmer weather, so that would be in its favor for later. On the other hand, I'm not sure the weather in either city is going to vary that much during the two weeks you'll be there.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:55 PM

Definitely the Rome-Florence-Venice route for the reasons cited above. Don't worry about the weather, temperature-wise, when you are going. It'll be great for travelling. Late September/early October is one of the best times of the year to travel there.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Oh Thanks Howard! I just booked Miami to Rome, then returning from Venice to Miami for dates Sept 27 returning on Oct 13 for $669 per person RT on Expedia, Altila airlines, is that a good airline? Thanks everyone for you help. I am sooooooo excited!!
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi Paula,

You got a very good price. Alitalia is the Italian National A/L. It's OK.
Old May 1st, 2003, 04:58 AM

I'm not sure exactly how to find it, but there is another recent thread on exactly this topic - if you want some additional advice.
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:54 AM

In italy ROme is pretty famous for having a great weather in the first months of fall. I would visit it last. Also, unlike Florence and Venice (especially Venice) that are almost completely overwhelmed with tourism, Rome is still a lively city on its own (being bigger than the other two) and therefore, IMHO, far more interesting.
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:28 AM

Congrats again on your aitalia fare. I think 2 weeks for rome/florence/venice is reasonable and you will not feel "rushed". Again - good for you. The sequence is not as important as the proportions: 1 week Rome, 4 days Florence, 2 days Venice (even though, yes, it is prettiest 2 day is enough time to see it). You've done your homework. - have a great time!!
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:42 AM

I would probably start in Venice and end in Rome, just because Venice is the farthest north and late September might lend itself to slightly warmer weather. That won't necessarily be the case but I'm just going with the probability and I'm sensitive to the cold weather. Rome will probably be the most "high energy" location of the three though. If it's important for you to end with something a little more subdued, then do the reverse order.
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:05 AM

For that time of the year, I do NOT think the difference in weather in the three cities should be a significant factor in setting your itinerary.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. I ended up with reservations flying into Rome and leaving from Venice.