Help - 10 days in Italy

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - 10 days in Italy

My sister and I are planning a trip to Italy in April, 2009. We plan to visit Florence, Venice, Como and Cinque Terre. I think this may be too much hotel-hopping and will consider dropping either Como or Cinque Terre. Which would you drop? We have never been to any of these cities.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, mgiuliano,

the first question is how long you are going for?

if a month, then you could easily manage these 4 destinations and perhaps a few more. if it's a week then it's two too many.

the 2nd question, is what do you like to do? if walking, the CT is ideal, if boat hopping, go for como.

why not get hold of a guide book [try the library] and do a bit of readying to help you decide?

regards, ann
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Hello mgiuliano, when you say 10 days in Italy are you counting the day you arrive and the day you depart? How many nights will you have in Italy?

Will be flying from the US (a long flight) or from Europe (a short flight)?

Also what interest do you and your sister have? Do you enjoy hiking, museums and churches (art and statues), relaxing at cafes, shopping and so forth.

More information will help with making suggestions for your trip.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:09 AM

Is it 10 days with 9 nights in Italy?
I'd do Florence and Venice...two completely different cities and easily accessible by train so no need to rent a car. Personally I feel even 3 cities is too much for 9 nights. There are many easy day trips possible from Florence if you want to see more than 2 locations...Arezzo (train) and Siena (bus)for example.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,
We are flying from the US (in and out of Milan) and have 10 days/9 nites in Italy.
We do enjoy museums and churches and are planning 3 days in Florence for that. As far as the other areas, our main interest is eating and drinking local fare and mingling with the locals (cafes and piazzas).
I am leaning toward keeping the CT area and leaving out Como. As it will be off-season in CT, I think we will experience a more "locals" atmosphere and I heard the wines from this area are a must!
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personal choice but for me with only 9 days on the ground, I'd just do Venice and Florence.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Personally, I loved the CT. I was there for four nights in 2008 (have alsto been to Como) and for me, I loved the CT. There isn't a lot to do, besides walking, eating, drinking (!!! loved that) and just experiencing being in the CT) and I found it so relaxing and interesting that I can't wait to go back.

I know that some people are bored with the CT, so it really depends upon what you like to do.

I get tired out with museums ( so have a low tolerance for Florence, etc.) and much prefer scenery, people watching and just "being" in an area where people live/work. Therefore, I loved the CT.

Have a wonderful holiday!
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
duh..how did i miss the "10 days in italy" clue.

mea culpa, mgiuliano!

I tend to agree with suze - with just 9 nights [which means 8 days, minus at least 1/2 day every time you move to another place] I'd stick to two.

the CT and Florence make a good pairing, or Venice and Como. not Venice and Florence though - by the time you've been round the the doge's palace, the frari, the accademia x 2, the uffizi, etc. etc. you will neither know nor care who tintoretto was or whether botticelli paints or sculpts.

my personal taste is to get the culture in first followed by the exercise/leisure - so for me it would be florence first, then the CT, or Venice followed by como.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Since you are going in April, I would probably not do the CT. I went in July and it was fine but the CT is a summer resort I beleive. I have also been to Como in the summer and it was great but it is in the mountains and April is prbably too early in the season to vacation there as well.

Venice and Flornec sounds better and perhaps a couple of day trips in Tuscany

David J
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 02:38 PM

I agree that resort areas may not be great in April. For both the CT and Como towns, weather is a big consideration. You won't have very many places to duck in to if the weather isn't good. But of course, it is hard to know.

I think adding a town like Verona or Arezzo, Vicenza, Padua, Orvieto, or tons of others I could think of, is perhaps a better idea at this time of year.

Some of us here are really in to traveling slowly, but you could do three stops not be dead. Depending on your age and stamina, of course.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 03:19 PM
ira

Hi mg,

With only 9 nights, in April, I would do Venice (4) and Florence (5).

Fly into Venice VCE and out of Florence FLR or Pisa PSA.

The CT and Como would be better in May-June.

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just because you are in a city liek Florence doesn't mean you MUST go to museums. I never do. I people-watch and do lots of walking, eating, and drinking in Venice.

annhig~ Don't feel bad, I often miss it when something's in the title but not repeated in the post.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Agree that with only 8 night you are trying to pack in way too much. Do 2 places only - or you won;t have any time to relax. I would do florence and Venice - since I prefer cities (museums, busy piazzas with lot of traffic, nice restaurants) to small towns with not much to do but take a few walks.

But - then - it depends on your specific likes/dislikes.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 06:36 PM

I "second" the recommendation to spend your eight days split between Florence and Venice...giving Florence the larger portion. Three days in Venice is nice and 5 days in Florence gives you enough time to soak up what I believe to be the loveliest of European cities that I have visited.