Hedging my bets in Paris-2 hotels

Jan 21st, 2004, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Hedging my bets in Paris-2 hotels

Before the dollar began its slide, my husband and I invited our 2 adult children to travel in France with us this May. I booked one of the apartments at the Danube on Rue Jacob, even though I have serious doubts about the 4 of us sharing 1 bathroom. It costs 220 euros. I read a post recently about the Hotel Victoria Chatelet. We can get 2 rooms there for 171 euros. I have only found that one reference to it (it's not in Trip Advisor) and wonder if a hotel that inexpensive can be any good. The website makes it look nice enough and the staff have been very pleasant, emailing back and forth. Any opinions? I would save about 150 euros.
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:11 PM

I don't know about the hotel you mention, but I have stayed at the Hotel Residnece Monge a couple of times and was quite happy. There have also been a number of favorable comments on the Residence Monge on this forum. For pictures, prices, services and details, go to www.hotelmonge.com I found it to be a great location with two metros within a block.
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:58 AM

Hey hoodpoint

Wow, the prices at the Danube sure have gone up post-Euro! I stayed there with 2 other friends in one of their 4-person attached-rooms (wouldn't call it an apartment) . . . think it would be more fun in 2 rooms somewhere else (good location, sweet antique shops on rue Jacob) . . .

The HVC looks good - and it's a good location. Might be noisy if the windows aren't double glazed.

You might be able to do better on price though, check out Bookings for more ideas:

http://www.bookings.nl/city/fr/paris.html

I've used them for Amsterdam, and I like to see pix of rooms/they seem to have competitive prices. HTH and you'll have no problem finding something ideal for May!
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:55 PM

Ealing_calling did you not care for the 2-room apartment? Was it too crowded for 4 people? The rue Jacob is nice and the area is a really good, central one. Another hotel on rue Jacob is Hotel d'Anglterre which I personally didn't like as our room was not well-maintained given the rate charged.

Possibly two separate rooms at the Danube should be reserved in order to get two bathrooms. Other hotels on rue Jacob that have been recommended are Hotel des Deux Continents and Hotel Millesime.
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:57 PM

Sorry, I should have said "...crowded for 3 people" instead