Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Heaton's in Dingle--how far from the town?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone tell me where Heaton's is in Dingle and how far away it is from the center of Dingle? Thanks!
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 11:21 AM
mjs

Heaton's is at the edge of Dingle. Good parking in front. I think it is about a 10 to 15 minute (flat) walk to the center of town. Excellent breakfast.
Nice, medium size rooms with very modern bathrooms. Highly recommended.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 01:50 PM

mjs is right. It's not more than a 10 minute walk from town. I haven't stayed there, but I've read consistently excellent reviews.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:42 AM

Ten+ minute walk.

Heaton's Guest House is grand. Nuala and Cameron Heaton are most cordial. Try the porridge with Drambuie at breakfast. Do not miss a trip to Slea Head where the scenery is breathtaking. Dine at "Beginnish" in Dingle.

We were there last September and loved the place.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:11 AM

Heaton's is just about double the price of a B&B. We're probably going to be staying 2 nights in Dingle to tour the town and trip to Slea Head.

Is it worth it to stay at Heaton's or are there some other nice B&B that charge the normal 28-30 Euro per person?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 09:34 AM

It would have to be something very special for me to be willing to pay twice the going rate.

My favorite Irish B&B is Clonmara. It's in Milltown, just across the harbor from Dingle. About a 15 minute walk from town. Incredible location, wonderful food, best bathrooms, and great hosts. If you get a room at the front of the house, you have water views. They're listed at www.familyhomes.ie. Look for Clonmara &/or Blandina O'Connor, the owner.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

The rate I was quoted at Heaton's is $44pp per night, which I didn't think was too bad, but we really want to go to Dingle and stay somewhere nice. It's our "luxury" on the trip. I'll let you know how it is!!!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 02:23 PM

Hope I didn't sound critical. I think Heaton's will be great! Dingle is one of my favorite places on earth.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 02:25 PM

And, if you're splurging in Dingle...try Out of the Blue, a fantastic seafood restaurant right on the harbor.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:24 PM

MaryZ, I e-mailed Clonmara B&B and they quoted a double room for me at 28 Euro per person a night. Thank you for the tip. We're going to do some pub food for dinner.

Funny story -- my wife doesn't drink beer or wine, but she will have a vodka & cramberry. None of the pubs have cramberry juice, so we went to a grocery story across the street from a pub in Dingle and bought some of those kiddy boxes of cramberry juice, and she mixed her own. The pub owners could have cared less. I just got a big chuckle out of it while sipping on my Guinness. Can you just picture me pouring this kiddy box of cramberry juice into my wive's vodka and ice?
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:42 PM

Bud, so happy to hear about Clonmara. I hope you'll like it as much as we do. It's always been the least expensive B&B we stay at, and also consistently the best!

We were there in July with our son and his girlfriend. He proposed to her in Dingle and the O'Connors went far out of their way to make the occasion a memorable one.