Heathrow- Terminal 3 to 1

Apr 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Heathrow- Terminal 3 to 1

Hey Everyone,

I am leaving for Europe tonight on an Air Canada flight that arrives in Heathrow at 8:35 GMT. We have a connecting flight to Rome at 12:40 GMT with British Airways. Since we have four hours I am not really concerned, since I've read on here that people can do it in an hour and a half. Our travel agent also told us to tell the Air Canada people when we check our baggage that we have a connecting flight, and that they will send our bags to customs in Heathrow. My question is what is the best way to get to terminal 1 from terminal 3, and is what our travel agent said viable? Also, can anyone recommend a restaurant for breakfast in terminal 1 after we've gone through all of the security?

Also, keep in mind this is my first real international flight, so I'm not as experienced as many of you are.

Thank you,

Shawn
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:19 AM

walk - terminals 1, 2 and 3 are virtually adjacent to each other and use a unified Tube and Heathrow Express stop so that's not a way to go!
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Perfect, I was hoping that they were close. I hate waiting too, so even if I shuttle would take me there quicker I probably wouldn't wait for it
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:30 PM

If you go to the Heathrow Airport website, click on "airport information", then select "flying into Heathrow" & finally "connecting passengers" it'll tell you how to do the airside transfer.

With 4 hours there's nothing stopping you going through passport control and having a wander around Heathrow, just ensure you are in the queue for security in order to get your flight an hour before departure

Oh and read up on the hand luggage rules. ONE bag REALLY does mean ONE bag
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM

note alanRow's comment. One bag is totally enforced. It means 1 item - not a carry on and handbag, or handbag and camera case - 1 item only . . . .
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM

I do not understand PalenQ. Explain tube & express stop. What about FCC?
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Alright, sounds good. I have only one bag, I have my suitcase which is getting checked, then I just have a backpack for a carry on.

I'll look into the connecting passengers thing.

Thanks
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:18 PM

First, make sure AC DOES check your bag through to Rome. BA are getting increasingly difficult about this, and it's not guaranteed that you'll be able to do so. The good news is: as long as you get the clerk to put a Rome sticker on, it'll go to Rome, whatevdr BA might think about it.

Second, I strongly doubt your flight's arriving at 0835 GMT, which is 0935 British Summer Time. Flight arrivals and departures are always given in local time: GMT is NOT local time in Britain between late March and late September.

Third, you can walk betwen the terminals only by going through Immigration. This can take a lot of time at T3 earlyish in the morning, though you're arriving after the real transatlantic rush has died down. If, when you get to passport control, the queue looks really horrible, you're still able to turn round, follow the signs for T1-2 Flight Connections Centre, then get the bus to T1.

But, if you can, I'd recommend you to go through immigration and walk through the underpass to T1, which'll take 109-15 mins. Lousy eating facilities there before security: loads of shops after, and the best breakfast is probably the Tin Goose pub.

Other choices: the Heathrow website, under Food and Drink, has a full desription of all T1's post-security eating places. If you;'re feeling flush, you might even try the caviar place
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:19 PM

<<<Explain tube & express stop>>>

Where you get either the Tube or the Heathrow Express from the airport. T123 share a stop, T4 (and soon T5) have their own stops

<<<What about FCC?>>>

Flight Connections Centre - how to get from arrivals at one terminal to departure at either the same or different terminal by staying airside.

For people connecting outside of the UK & Ireland it means they don't have to pass through passport control - unlike the US where you have to even if you are spending minutes in the US

Follow the instructions I gave earlier
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM

to alanRow I do not understand your previous instructions as they are too criptic. Please do T3 to T1 in detail as BA's info never mentions Tube [what ever thatis] or Express[heathrow] which I believe goes to London. Thank you.
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:44 PM

What's hard about clicking on a few links?

Start with www.heathrowairport.com then follow my instructions

The Tube & the HEX are used to get into London and as T123 share the same station you can't use them to get from one terminal to another EXCEPT when you need to transfer between T4 & T123 or vice versa then you can take the HEX for free
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Tube=Subway
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Fair enough.

As for the 8:35GMT, it didn't say that it just said arriving at 8:35. Also, if its actually 9:35, then I don't actually leave until 1:40, so I should be fine.

Thanks a lot for the informative post, it was very helpful.
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:23 PM

where is terminal one twenty three?