Search

heathrow layover

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM
jsw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heathrow layover

Thank you for replying to my last question.

We have a 7 hour layover at Heatrow and want to find out how long it would taked us to get out of the airport through customs and returning after and visit to Windsor palace.

All so, how long does it take to get there.
What is the price of a taxi and can we get a taxi to return us to the airport from Windsor.

Thanks
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM

When does your plane land and how often is it on time?

Assuming you have to go through immigration and drag your carry-on with you (and that your checked luggage is checked on to your final destination) you still need to allow time to go back through security at Heathrow when you return.

Windsor is close - less than 30 minutes, but you don;t really have 7 hours - probably more like 3 or 4 when you consider all you have to do at the ariport.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 05:41 AM
jsw
Original Poster

The plane lands at 7:00 am on a Sunday.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Hampton Court Palace is another option, 10 miles from Heathrow T3, right on the River Thames. Windsor will work too.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:21 AM

There are left luggage facilities at Heathrow where you could store your carry-on luggage. However, you have to allow time for x-ray screening and the possibility of standing in line both when you drop off and pick up the luggage.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 06:38 AM

I have frequently gone into London on the Tube with a layover of that length. I haven't gone to Windsor, but I suspect you'd have enough time to get there and poke around for an hour or 2. The left luggage facilities at LHR are great and it's never taken me more than 15 min to drop off or pick up a bag.

Basically, I'd suggest you plan on being at the airport 2 hrs before your flight. That gives you about 4 hrs (5 minus 1 for arrival stuff) to play with. To be safe, double the amount of travel time you think you'll need and decide what you want to do. If 2 hrs at Windsor is worth it (and the palace is open at 10 am on a Sunday) then go for it.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Good advice re using left luggage facilities at Heathrow--as long as you can somehow jump the qeue at immigration which can annoyingly eat up yr time. Try to beat the pack as you disembark--or snag a fasttrack voucher onboard if at all possible.

Taking the #111 bus from Heathrow or cab--Hampton Court might be a nicer/easier destination for such a short visit (beware the maze) the gardens are open by 7am --you could even take a Thames cruise from there into and out of London with a four-five hour window but that might be pushing it. Or just enjoy the very nice trails around Hampton Court and eat a leisurely lunch or picnic.

If your bags are checked through and you've got boarding pass in hand, security shouldn't be too bad at that hour of the day--allow yourself at least 1.5 hours to get back to Heathrow and through--but you never know! I'm always the one right behind the family with six carry-ons and quadruplets in separate push chairs!

Meg
Up the Ben and Down the Boozer
http://megrobb.typepad.com/britishtravel/
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
yk

<i>We have a 7 hour layover at Heatrow and want to find out how long it would taked us to get out of the airport through customs and returning after and visit to Windsor palace.</i>

Heathrow immigration line is unpredictable. There have been times I had NO WAIT at all - 30 minutes from landing to Heathrow tube station. There have been times I stood in line at immigration for ONE HOUR. It depends on how many flights landed around your flight arrival, how many immigration officers are working that morning.

<i>All so, how long does it take to get there. </i>

by taxi, it should be about 15 minute ride. There is also a bus which takes 30 minutes, but I don't know how frequent it runs on a Sunday.

<i>What is the price of a taxi and can we get a taxi to return us to the airport from Windsor.</i>

From a 6 month-old thread, I foudn the following:

Quote: &quot;Cab far from Heathrow to Windsor is a fixed 36 pounds, but it cost only 25 pounds to return.&quot;

You should have no problem finding a taxi back to Heathrow. Just go to the main Windsor rail station. If not, go to one of the hotels on the main street and ask them to call you one.

BTW, let's say it takes 1 hour for you to get through immigration, and another 15 minutes to store your luggage (if you need to), and another 15 minutes for the taxi ride, you'll still be in Windsor by 8:30am. The castle doesn't open until 9:45am. Shops don't open until 11am on Sundays.

You said you have a 7 hour layover, so I assume your flight departs at 2pm? If you are already checked-in for that flight AND have your borading pass, I would still leave Windsor no later than 12noon.

To be honest, I don't know if it's worth the admission charge just to be inside Windsor Castle for 2 hours. It certainly has plenty to see and one can easily spend half a day there.

You didn't say what time of year you'll be there. But if it's warm and nice, I'd rather spend my time walking to Eton College and along River Eton to stretch my legs and save the money on Windsor Castle.

So, having said all that, since you are arriving in Heathrow so early in the morning and nothing is open at Windsor at that hour... you may want to rethink this option.

I probably would just take the tube from heathrow into London (4 pounds each way) and walk around the city. Grab a bite to eat and then take the tube back to Heathrow. It's cheaper than the taxi ride to Windsor.