Search

heathrow hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 06:43 AM
dan

heathrow hotels

I am taking a trip in week or 2 and have to stay overnight in london on return due to flight problems. I have arrival around 4 pm and flight the next day at 11 AM to leave.<BR>Should i find a hotel next to the airport?<BR>Is there any near airport? Is it expensive?<BR>Can anyone suggest one?<BR>Is it worth going into london with just the short time?<BR>looking for any suggestions.<BR>Dan

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Grasshopper

Dan, I've stayed a couple of times at the Holiday Inn by Heathrow. Oddly enough I reserved on the Alitalia website (didn't buy airline tickets there). Got good prices and they will take you to he airport for no charge.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Prue

There are many hotels in the Heathrow area - most of the big chains. The Hilton is actually attached to Terminal 4 by a walkway which is a huge convenience if you are using that one.<BR>I am sure you will get a lot of advice from people who have done it, but I would imagine you would have ample time to actually go into London for the night if you wanted.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Pat

Hi Dan,<BR>You will have time to go into London and stay there. Even if you stay by the airport I recommend that you do go into London for the evening for dinner and a walk around as there is nothing to do around the airport. I have stayed 3 times at the Sheraton Heathrow (not Sheraton Skyline) which is on Bath Rd. There are also Travelodge, Thistle and Radisson represented in the area. The Hilton, as mentioned on another post, is right at the airport and beats them all for convenience. If you stay near the airport you have to take a "Hoppa" bus which services the hotels from terminals 1,2,3 and terminal 4. It was 2GBP each way last time I was there.<BR>Have a great trip.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Pat

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Lori

Do not go into London overnight, you will be too rushed. Last time we had to overnight at Heathrow we stayed at the Heathrow Hilton (yes it is expensive, about $250/night) but worth it for convenience alone. You can easily walk across a covered walkway from Terminal 4 to the Hilton, taking the luggage trolley with you. You leave it outside the hotel in a rack full of them - pick one up in the a.m. for your return. Takes about 7/8 min. to walk. We did not eat dinner at the hotel but after freshening up we took the tube into London (Piccadilly line). We adore London so it was another chance to spend a few more hours there. It's about 45 min on the tube tho, and it can be crowded at rush hour. With an 11 am flt I would not waste valuable time going into London. We've also stayed at the Heathrow Sheraton in the past - it was also OK. Some hotels require the Hoppa Bus and there is a charge for that.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Lori

On reading my post over what I meant to say was that I would not waste time going into London to a hotel to stay the night .. I did not mean don't waste valuable time in London. Sorry! Just stay at Heathrow & go in for dinner & a walk around.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 06:23 PM
dan

$250 per night? big bucks to rest your head and have a few cocktails.<BR>Anyone of you know of any cheaper? It is not cuz i am cheap but i suppose i can take a trip and stay in another country for about the same. <BR>Anyone know of cheaper prices?<BR>If so i would love to hear. If not then i guess $250 it is.<BR>decisions,decisions. I have a few day to decide i guess? any other suggestions are great.<BR>Never been inside london other than the airport.<BR>Thanks to all for replying <BR>would be great to hear any of others suggestions.<BR>Dan

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Grasshopper

Dan, I think I paid 49 pounds for the Holiday Inn.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 01:46 AM
Gregory

Hi Dan,<BR><BR>I have seemn prices on the Hilton website www,hilton.com for the Heathrow Hilton from around &pound;60 ($85-$90). The earlier you book the cheper it should be.The prices will vary according to the room type/cancellation policy

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:58 AM
dan

Thanks<BR>I will look into both. Might even be able to find somthing from BA frequent flyer site? Did not think to look there yet.<BR>I think $100 US is a fair price.<BR>Dont know about trip to the city but will check websites of both hotels.<BR>Thanks for the info <BR><BR>Dan