Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Haven't found a room yet...take a look at these last few.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I know I have been nonstop asking about rooms in Venice and we haven't found a great one yet. I have a few more hotels I am looking into, and would like specific advice about a few things I have heard about these hotels...
*Luna Hotel Baglioni --- Too expensive for what is there?
* Bucintoro -- Too far out of the way? Rooms very small?
* Hotel Canal Grande -- Too close to the train station?
* Al Ponte Antico -- If we are not in one of the best rooms it is not worth it?
* Ruzzini Palace -- Has anyone stayed there that knows about it?
Last but not least -- *Centurion Palace -- Worth it if we are in a small room?
Thanks for the help. I promise I will stop asking these questions soon!
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

?
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM

Just an idea, but it may be easier to just post on your original thread so people can review what has already been discussed, rather than starting another one with a very general title. At least include the city you are visiting in the title so people that have been there can see it.

I stay in cheaper places so dont know any of the above, but have you tried looking on trip advisor for reviews, or done a search for the hotel names in the search here to get some feedback?
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I have written a new posting with Venice in the title. I have looked at all of the reviews but there are so many that I was trying to be more specific.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:27 AM

You need to provide info on who/how many you are, budget and what you are looking for. the above don;t all seem to be in the same categories - and I doubt that anyone here will know all of them.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

There are two of us, on honeymoon, looking to spend about 350-450 a night.
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:33 PM

I’ve spent a bit of time in Venice. San Marco is crowded, jam-packed, with tourists – and that’s in November, the low season. In June, it will be even more crowded. You’ll stand in line just to cross the Rialto bridge.

So I suggest that you stay somewhere other than San Marco. Think about Dorsoduro or San Polo or Santa Croce.

Don’t stress too much over the choice of hotel. Just book something and then get on with reading about Venice. And don’t worry too much about a canal view – it could be that the canal is the size of a gutter, filled with delivery boats and the rubbish barge that comes every morning. Or that boat with the big tank and sucker pump that cleans out grease traps and toilet cisterns ..............

It’s all part of the charm of Venice. To quote my trip report of 18 months ago:

I remember arriving, and finding our hotel. It was near San Marco, and I'd mapped out in my mind exactly how to find it. Turn right from the Alilaguna ferry stop, past the souvenir vendors, cross the Piazzetta and the Piazza, under the clock tower, first right, 30 yards and we were there. I was so keen to show Venice to Lou, to unroll it like a magic carpet, albeit a carpet supported on wooden piles in the lagoon, a carpet with bumps and lumps and a bit waterlogged, wine stains and not a few blood stains, bare patches and worn threads. I so wanted Venice to deliver on the magic carpet. la Serenissima delivered.