Have you had a parking ticket in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were driving in Le Marche in May, visiting various hill towns every day. In Recananti we parked on the main plaza, not seeing any no-parking signs, and went off to wander around. When we wandered back there was a parking ticket on our windshield. We moved the car and noticed that the Italians who were parked in the same location had their hazard lights on, as if to say, I'll be right back.
When we turned the car in a few days later at Auto Europe in Venice, we asked them how we should handle the ticket, since the car is identified as theirs. We thought maybe we could just give them the money and they could pay the fine. We could not send a check to pay since while we were in Italy, since we did not have a checkbook, and couldn't write a check in Euros anyhow. The fine was for 35 euros. We were hoping for an explanation of what the ticket said when we asked the car rental folks, but the counter lady didn't really translate. She said that she could not handle it, because this was just a branch office. "The main office will give the police your credit card and it will be charged."
Doesn't sound quite likely, but we were on our way home and did not know what options we had at that point.
My assumption would be that the police would contact the rental car company and the rental car company would charge the amount to our credit card and pay the police.
Anybody know?

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:09 PM

Hi Vera,
Yes, the same happened to us when we parked in Siena. We told the rental car agency, autoeurope, and they said the same thing. "The credit card that you on which you charged your rental car will be charged for the ticket."
We never heard another thing. In fact, I don't even remember if they charged our card!
I really wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:33 PM

We got one in Pisa 2001. We never paid it ..$35.00
I hope they arent after us...
Seriously if my friend were to drive in Italy and get pulled over, would there be an problem? The rental car was in her name. They never charged her credit card.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 08:39 PM

Not in Italy, but in Spain--in Allicante--for 121 Euros!!! They haven't tracked us down yet...so PLEEZE don't tell them where we are !!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:10 AM

I wonder if Spain and Italy are more lax.

Two years ago I was in the Netherlands and got speeding ticket. They have a system of hidden cameras that snap your plate if you speed. I was not aware that I was going faster than traffic around me in Zutphen, but two months after I got back I got a notice from the car rental company (AutoEurope, I think) that I was clocked at 40 kmh in a 30 kmh zone. They sent me a copy of the ticket in Dutch. A friend who spoke Dutch translated and said yes it was common to have these traffic cameras and local people often get caught as well.

To make a long story short, there was a fine, a VAT tax on the fine (double dipping if you ask me, but no one did) and a paperwork processing fee from the rental company which amounted to about $100. Ouch!

They charged it to my credit card. I did the crime so paid up. An expensive lesson! (it took about 2 months for this to catch up to me, so keep your fingers crossed)

Good luck!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:40 AM
kdcwood

Our family got a 71 euro parking ticket in Lucca (Tuscany) last summer.

Here is a message I posted on another website and the input I got. Several people related their own experiences:

http://slowtalk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...10689#50010689

We had a leased car with French tags. Ultimately, we elected to pay. Almost a year later, we have not seen any billing on this. Our landlord thought that if it was too much trouble to track you down (ie through a French company), it wouldn't be pursued. But I think that if you rented the car in Italy from a rental company that does a lot of business in Italy, you will be found and an administrative fee added, possibly by both the rental company and the local government.

Kathy

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 06:53 AM

"But I think that if you rented the car in Italy from a rental company that does a lot of business in Italy, you will be found and an administrative fee added, possibly by both the rental company and the local government...."

I'm sure that person was trying to help but the response is total conjecture...

Do nothing because there isn't anything you can do and perhaps hope that even though you committed a parking violation that the authorities won't pursue it.

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM

We once got a parking ticket in Cremona... but were totally unaware until it showed up on our credit card bill!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. After trying in vain for months and months to get some information from official Italy agencies, I would be distressed indeed if their parking agency was more efficient than their other offices!

Loved Italy, its food and its people, but the bureaucracy is another thing.

V.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:01 PM

I have had a couple of Parking tickets in Italy one in 1997 my first trip there and again in 2004. It's those stupid parking lots with boxes you go and put coins in and get a slip and put it on your dash. The first time our machine wasn't working, took our coins but no slip came out. We noticed a lot of other cars didn't have a slip either. So we went on our way. This was near Villa d'Este outside of Rome. We came back to our car and found a ticket. We were told by several people to forget about it and not to worry. Soooo. we didn't...Still haven't heard a thing. So in 2004 when I got another one I ignored that one too...still haven't heard a thing.

Last year in Greece I got a speeding ticket in the Pelopenese. I had just crossed over that new bridge from the mainland and wala...speed trap..However as he was writing the ticket many and I mean many drivers were zooming by us so fast and there were other police there and they didn't go after them.

Again, on advice from many Greeks they told me to ignore it. I did...Haven't heard a thing yet.

Maybe I just got lucky or maybe next time I go to europe they will put me in jail for all my tickets combined !!!

So I'm not telling anyone here my name or address cause I don't want you to turn me in !!!
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Vera, any new tips about Le Marche? We will be there late this month after a stop in Bologna and before heading to the Dolomites. We plan to stay 3 nights in Ascoli Piceno and 1 night in Senigallia.

I hope when you have time you will post some information. As you know, information about Le Marche is hard to come by.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM
LJ

Though I am not Vera, I am a big fan of Le Marche and its neighbour to the south, the Abruzzo.

Places we enjoyed in Le Marche: Hotel/Ristorante Giardino in San Lorenzo en Campo( a restaurant del Buon Ricordo-when you order a particular dish,an exceptional presentaion of the region, you receive a plate...), food is superb, rooms plain but clean and adequate, very pretty pool to bask by and enjoy the pastoral views.

Then there is the more magnificent Monte Conero, nr. Sirolo...restored monastery, very well furnished, good food...lovely views. In Sirolo itself, try Sarah's (cash only!) for the best fish dishes and fabulous local white wine, Verdicchio. Great secluded beaches down below the town.

Enjoy, knowing you are an early adventurer in a region that is less traveled, but none the less lovely and worthwhile...
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Le Marche fans--I'm trying to get all my notes together to post my trip report. I'll post the second half (Le Marche) first--by popular demand.
Just give me a few more days.
Vera
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM

I got a parking ticket for 35 Euro in 2004 in Viareggio. I decided not to pay it at the time. I came home and asked an Italian friend of mine what the ticket said and asked for his advice. He told me to ignore it - I was on vacation after all, so I did. Several months later I got another notice from the police department in Viageggio. They had contacted the car rental company who gave them all the info they had on me down to my place of birth etc. plus a copy of the ticket AND it had gone up markedly. I had to go to my bank, get a cashier's check for the ticket in Euro and mail it. All in all the ticket cost me almost $100. ARG! and I was so good about finding that stupid box the whole trip. If it ever happens again, I'll pay it right away and save myself a lot of stress and expense.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Just posting this for anyone else wondering how to handle a parking ticket in Italy. You can pay at any post office, and then you'll have a receipt if you should need it later.

We were in Italy recently and received a 35 Euro ticket (in Parma). The metermaids were nearby, and we asked how we can pay, and they said we had to mail in the payment with the envelope provided. (Although later, after leaving town, we read on the back of the ticket that we could have paid at one of the two police stations.) A (native) friend of ours told us to ignore the ticket, which seems to have worked for many posters here, but we had heard stories about the police tracing the violations to the car rental, and the car rental agency tracking down renters months later and charging 3-4 times the original amount, so we wanted to pay the fine before leaving the country. So at the next town, we went to the post office and had them pay by "moneygram." Cost around 10% of the amount for the moneygram, but it is nice to have an official receipt of payment.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM

yes. twice! (on 2 different trips)
both time, it was sent to the rental car agency, who then charged our credit card for the amount and sent us a receipt.

We got one last june, and just received a receipt from the rental agency last month -- 7 months later. it was like $30 or something. not a big deal.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM

We got one in Pisa in 1999.
It still is in my friends photo album.
A priced possession.