Car Rental Prices!

Search

Car Rental Prices!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental Prices!

ESTIMATED MANDATORY CHARGES <BR>Rental Time Charge 44.00 <BR>Discount 0.00 <BR>With Discount Applied 44.00 <BR>Drop Charge 39.00 <BR>Physical Damage Waiver ( 9.30 Per Day ) 18.60 <BR>Road Tax ( 1.45 Per Day ) 2.90 <BR>Theft Protection ( 8.52 Per Day ) 17.04 <BR>Value Added Tax ( 20.00% ) 24.31 <BR>Total Estimated Mandatory Charges 145.85 <BR>ESTIMATED GRAND TOTAL 145.85 <BR><BR><BR>Is this for real? Do I really need ALL of this stuff when I rent a car in Italy? What in the heck is a &quot;drop charge&quot;? And I don't want theft protection or a physical damage waiver!<BR><BR>Can someone help? Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:14 PM

Seems crazy.Drop charge is when you rent one place and return another,or when you pick up at an airport.Collision-need that<BR>I believe it is mandatory in Italy.<BR>Vat-value added tax tax on goods and services is standard.Others are attempts to raise money for the local government.Also have tolls on roads and gas at about $4.00-$5.00/gallon. Need car in rural Italy otherwise take train.RR
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:09 AM

That is just about it. <BR>You could avoid the Physical Damage Waiver if you have a credit card that will cover you. But not all rental companies for Italy allow this. <BR><BR>The theft protection is mandatory.<BR><BR>I don't see an airport surcharge, so you must be picking it up at a non airport location.<BR><BR>Drop charge. A lot of companies will not charge this if the location pick up and drop is within Italy. I have rented through Hertz and AutoEurope picking up at one location and dropping off at another within Italy and have never paid a drop charge. Check another company. <BR>Good luck.<BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 02:29 PM

Most credit card companies do not cover within Italy anymore RR
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Yup - I'm in the car rental industry - looks like they actually forgot a few charges! You WILL be required to purchase a collision damage waiver (in case of actual damage to the vehicle)if you are from the US. Drop charge seems low (good deal!) ask specifically what it is unless you are actually picking up and dropping off in 2 different locations. Don't worry about Theft Protection - you'd be a fool to leave anything in your car of value anyway. HOWEVER, if it's theft against the vehicle itself being stolen, just check to see if it's mandatory and if your credit card covers it.<BR><BR>The other thing you must relaize in most European countries - even tho' you have purchased the collsion protection, you are still liable for 10% of the value in case of accident.