Additional costs at rental car pick-up?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have rented a car very recently in Italy (especially Kemwell) would you clue me in on the different charges we will be faced with when picking up our car at Malpensa for a 2 week rental? I have read conflicting reports and it would be nice to get a recent concise report. We plan on declining the CDW as our Credit Card covers us for that. Is the theft insurance at $15 to $20 a day really mandatory? Thanks!
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You should double check your credit card coverage. I don't know of any credit card that covers that in Italy.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM

Yep, in Italy your cc will not cover CDW. You will also pay an airport pick up fee.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 06:35 AM
ira

HI a,

a: Have you called Kemwel?

b: Have you called your CC compsny?

Old Sep 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Last year in Italy, I thought one of my credit cards did cover ins in Italy. I called each cr company as ira suggested and they responded on the phone about coverage and sent me the relevant portion of their rules.

Also I have found that Kemwell has always told me exactly what charges will be included and what you need to pay additional. Their contract is generally pretty clear if you read thru it.

I believe we had to also pay a road charge which was a couple euros a day, but that was the only additon to our contract with Kemwell. We did not pick up at an airport and there is a surcharge for picking up at airports.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM

I rented from AutoEurope a few months ago with pickup at EuropCar Malpensa. I had no extra charges. You should call Kemwell and ask them if you are concerned.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM

I am not aware of any credit card that covers Italy. If you think yours does you should contact them directly and get confirmation in writing - otherwise any rental agency will require you to purchase insurance. Also - ask the rental company if what they are quoting covers all taxes, fees and insurance so you're comparing apples with apples.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I looked at my notes and our Chase VISA signature did in fact cover a portion of the CDW insurance in Italy. My notes show that in some cases there is a minimum CDW amount that must be purchased, so u must accept that, but it is generally a lower amt than full coverage for CDW. VISA signature picks up the rest. This differs from the usual process where u must decline the CDW for VISA ins to take effect.
Additonally, both this year and last year our rentals using Kemwell and Auto Europe had a fee for a road tax. We picked up in the Spring our cars in Bologna last year and Padua this year maybe -- that makes a difference.
From the the VISA website with my notes:
"This benefit is available in the United States and most foreign countries. No benefit is provided for motor vehicles rented in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, or Northern Ireland. Additionally, this benefit is not available where precluded by law or in violation of the territory terms of the auto rental agreement or prohibited by individual merchants. Because regulations vary outside the United States, we recommend you check with your auto rental company and the Benefit Administrator before you travel to make sure Visa Auto Rental CDW will apply."

But I agree, call Kemwell and your cr card company and either get a website or in an email from them.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM

We used kemwell for a car in Malpenza and there wre not extra charges but in Naples there were many extra charges. In Bologna there was a road tax per day. The price of the CDW was included in the price quoted by Kemwell. Italy requires you to take it as I remmber. Call Kemwell and discuss the details.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks folks! Yes, we read and re-read the Kemwell contract. It appears that all the fees and insurances are taken care of except for one caveat--Italy MAY not be covered. We are calling Kemwell today. You all gave me good input. Whatever will be, will be! Sending out another question on different topic: rainy weather expected where we are going.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 09:32 AM

We rented a car through Kemwell/Europcar last week. We picked up in Venice and returned in Naples--there were no extra charges except they are trying to bill us for an extra day. We returned the car 5 minutes late and they claim it was one hour 9 minutes late. We do have our receipt showing the time we retuned so we are fighting it. Just make sure when you return the car they write the exact time down. Have fun!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Suz123nj, since you have rented from Kemwel(ours will be from Hertz) and picked up at Malpensa, could you tell me if you if the actual location of the cars is closeby or does one have to take a shuttle to an outside-the-airport area? We wanted to take a look at our economy car before driving away as we might want to upgrade. Would appreciate your response. By the way I see on your profile that your next trip is to the Italian lakes region, but don't know when you wrote that. We leave for Lake Como Sept.15. If you have been already, do you have any tips, favorite restaurants, etc.?
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 03:16 AM

I am not Suz, but I did rent there a few months ago. The car lot is just outside the lower level of terminal 1 at Malpensa. You have a short walk from the rental car offices, which are in the lower level of the terminal, to the lot.

NOTE: Be careful in the rental car office; I have heard of recent theft of belongings from travelers who are engrossed in filling out forms and leave their luggage unattended for a moment.

When returning a rental car to Malpensa Terminal 1, follow the signs for "car hire." And try to pick up a diagram of the return route when you pick up the car.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Mille Gracie, ekscrunchy! That is just what we needed! Four more days and we are off!!