Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you been to Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna in Rome?

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I'm parsing through a long list of places I want to see next week in Rome, and Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna is on the list. I am attracted by the artists the museum has in its collection (Monet, Van Gogh, Degas, Cezanne, Canova, Kandinsky) but I am wondering if someone who has been can compare it to another museum or let me know if this is a good detour considering everything else there is to see in the city. (God I hate to ask an "is it worth it?" question!)
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, I have to admit that in numerous visits to Rome I have never been to the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna. But if you know any of the great modern art collections, I think you would find this Italian one a little disappointing: it might have one, possibly two works of the artists you mentioned.

I think you should concentrate on the collections in Rome that are truly superb and cannot be matched elsewhere: Galleria Nazionale Romano (Palazzo Massimo and Palazzo Altemps, chiefly), Galleria Nazionale Etrusco (Villa Giulia), Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica (Palazzo Barberini) and, of course, Musei Vaticani and Galleria Borghese.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Whoops! Forgot the Musei Capitolini...

Depending on the amount of time you have in Rome, you may not be able to make it to all of the ones I've mentioned, but do consider them before considering the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:30 AM

we were there this past june to see the marc chagall exhibit. that was great but the rest of the museum was lacking IMO.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you both! That's kind of what I expected.

Zerlina, the Borghese, Capitolini and Palazzo Barberini were already on my list for certain. As a fan of Monet, Van Gogh and Degas in particular though, I was really drawn to this, but I think you're right, I should really focus on what Rome does best! ;-)
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 08:27 AM
kja

Hi, amyb -
I don't disagree with Zerlina or randola, but thought I'd mention that I was very glad to have spent about an hour at the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna in Rome. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see it because there are so many other wonderful things to see in Rome, but I was there anyways because I passed it on my way from the Galleria Borghese to the Galleria Nazionale Etrusco. I so enjoy the artists represented at this museum that I couldn't resist a quick visit. It also had a pleasant restaurant. For me, it was worth it!

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM

We visited in September and we were not impressed. Nothing to report, really, beside a Klimt (3 ages of women), two minor Modigliani, 1 Giacometti, 1 minor Rodin. As for Cezanne, Monet, Degas and Van Gogh, I don't remember seeing them.

Fascist art section is fine and the the Dada / surrealism section (Duchamp essentially) is too small to call it a section (4-5 pieces).

Overall, it does not worth the hassle and the price tag (around 15E/person). Moma is sooooooo much better.