Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have questions about Madrid..can you help?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Sherry

We're a family of four with 2 high school girls going to Spain and Portugal in early June for 16 days.
1. What will the weather be like then?
2. Has Spain and Portugal converted to and are they using Euros?
3. What can we do for three days in or near Madrid? We'll have no car.
4. How much should cab fare be from the airport to downtown Madrid? Are there other suggested ways of getting downtown?
Thanks to anyone who can help!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:23 PM
ger

Sherry:

I have just returned from a business trip to Madrid so I can answer points 2 & 4: yes Spain has converted to the Euro and approx taxi fare is 35-45 Euros with tip.

Can't answer point 1 (never been in Madrid in June) but I am sure others will.

Point 3: There is SO much to do (and you don't need a car) and I am sure you will have many responses. Personal favorites would be the Prado & Thyssen museums (see the URL below). Girls will love the shopping (ZARA is recommended for teenagers, but there are many other great shops. Cortez Ingles (sp?) is one of the best department stores I've ever been in)

If you want to take a side trip, chose between Segovia & Toledo (my favorite is Segovia). You can easily and cheaply travel to either destination by bus.

I would suggest that you use the search function to get some great information for the REAL Madrid experts (search on the following topics: Madrid, Segovia, Toledo, Spain).

Whatever you decide to do, you will have a wonderful time - I LOVE Spain!

http://www.softdoc.es/~softdoc/madrid_guide/culture/culture.html

Reagrds

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 01:58 AM
MrsWilson

I paid only 15 euros for my taxi trip in to central Madrid. I believe this is the going rate.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:47 AM
David

Sherry

Try these 2 sites:

www.madridman.com
www.multimadrid.com

They are madris sprecific sites run by 2 people who are infatuated with Madrid (1 actually lives there). As well each has a bulletin board that is inhabited by people who have love of Madrid and Spain.

David

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:49 AM
David

Sorry about the typo's - it's about 11.20pm Sunday night here in Australia and I'm ready for sleep.

What I meant was that they "are Madrid specific sites".

David

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Jose

The right rate for your taxi is around 15-20 Euros.
Other options are bus (to Plaza de Colon but I don't know how much it cost) or by metro (around 0.90 Euros p.p.).

The weather should be dry and hot (30ºC), but there can be any summer storms.

Of course Prado and the other museums, and the Royal Palace are must see. You can walk through Retiro Park, near Prado Museum, and just beside it, Botanico Garden. Toledo and Segovia are great little cities, and nearer Madrid you can find El Escorial and its monastery where you will find the thumbs of all the Spanish Kings from the times of the Empire (Philippe II).
And as the teenagers you are you can go to party.

Ger, the name of department stores is 'El Corte Inglés'. There are many of them around the city.

Sure you'll enjoy.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:58 AM
chupa

4 of you?The cab is going to be tight and you will be charged extra per luggage.I suggest looking up Aerocity,do a search and you will find many good comments about them.Flat fee but you must reserve ahead but very reasonable and they will be there waiting for you!
I know you said you won't have a car but when it comes to 4 persons-full fares on trains you may want to reconsider getting a car on the days you go out of Madrid.
Go to the Botin restaurant -I'm sure by now your girls have read some Hemingway.Try to get a table downstairs and after 9PM-the Tuna comes in -they're University students dressed in outfits from the MIddle Ages and sing /play fabulously-the more ribbons attached to their capesthe more hearts they have broken!
Find out from the hotel which disco is close by .You will survive and the girls will be in heaven-try to go to the multilevel ones.Once inside you find a 'quiet spot'and let them wander -stay as long as you can keep awake.It actually depends on the age of the girls-if they're under 16 they will have to leave early 10-11PM and make room for the wild set!
If you can only di one side trip out of Madrid and no car I would go with Toledo.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:10 AM
cjl

it will be very hot but not humid like some parts of the states -its actually quite comfortable -but i would recommend a sweater or light jacket for the evenings -be sure you and your afmily spend an evening together in the plaza mayor -get a sidewalk table , some wine , tapas and let Madrid work its magic on you. have been there often and its one of our family's favorite times together(my daughters used to be teenagers )

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 10:12 AM
carol

hi sherry,
i was in madrid last april and it was quite warm in the day time. we did however feel out of place wearing our shorts and tank tops, as the locals were all wearing clothes that were less revealing and we were asked to cover our shoulders when going into the cathedrals. Toledo is my recommendation for a side trip as well. it is a charming town with great little restaurants. on other note, i got robbed in broad day light despite what i thought was ample preparation in avoiding gypsies. i am a pretty stree smart person who obviously wasnt as smart as a professional female thief. my advice wold be to tell your girls, dont talk to anyone.
have fun!!!!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:10 AM
in_wyoming

I understand there is a bus that runs from the airport to Plaza Colon that is inexpensive. From there you could take the metro.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Graziella

Please take a taxi or shuttle from airport to city. Do not take the bus. Taxi for two with 2 suitcases cost us 14+ 4 eu flat charge for taking the taxi at the airport, we added a 2 eu tip , making the total =20. As far as I know there is no charge for luggage in Madrid......
The Prado Museum is a must, also the Cerralbo Museum in a palace from the XIX century and the better known Reina SOfia, and Thyssen Bornemisza are very interesting but if I were you I will go only to the Prado adding
a visit to the Royal Palace , a night of flamenco in one of the restaurants that offer this Spanish dance, and one night of tapas at Plaza Santa Ana, having a tapa dinner at La Trucha .-
I would take my daughters to Plaza Mayor and have dinner or lunch at
Sobrinos de Botin one of the oldest restaurants in Madrid. ( and they open early)
As a side trip I would go by bus or even by taxi, pre arranging the rate, to visit El Escorial a fascinating palace built by Charles V and his son Phillip II . There there they offer guided visits so they will enjoy it a lot.
When leaving Madrid towards Portugal I would visit in this order Segovia, Avila and Salamanca staying in this last charming city at least 2 days, going South depending on the weather ( if it is not too hot) I would go South to Merida, visiting the fascinating Roman ruins and Roman Museum and then cross to Portugal. I would return to Spain to visit Andalucia further South. Buen Viaje.
----------