Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have a 4.5 hour layover in London...enough time for travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

really wanting some good advice on this. I'm coming from the US flying to Spain I have a 4.5 layover in London coming in at 4pm on a friday and flying out at 8:30pm. I looked up taking the rapid train to paddington and just exploring for an hour and taking the train back. I'm hoping that will give me enough time to make it through customs (i'm not checking a bag, i just will have a backpack). Is this feasible?

let me know and thanks!
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:49 AM

The Paddington area is one of the most blah in London - so you'd have to take the Tube somewhere more representative of the London you are dreaming of seeing.

Customs can takes a long time even sans luggage in the UK - passport control - I'd just plan to stay in the airport area or perhaps bop over to some real London neighborhood/suburbs near the airport - leave plenty of time at Heathrow.

Stay in the airport vicinity is my recommendation.
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:44 PM

I think you do not have as much time as you think. Heathrow is a large and very busy place. Passport control and security can take a long time. On Sunday our 5 hour layover was shortened considerably by these factors: high winds at LHR delayed our flight from Milan by 45 minutes, then there was the bus transfer from Terminal 5 to Terminal 3. Our onward flight to the US boarded 45 minutes before departure. Healthrow is a pretty good airport to spend time in; there are shops, bars, restaurants. And coming off an overnight flight from the US, you need to factor in the overnight tired thing.
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:49 PM

<<Is this feasible?>>

No. At Heathrow you will go through another security screening even as a through passenger. You may also have to transit between terminals depending upon your airlines and flight arrangements, which will take 20-30 minutes (walking from the main terminal to the gates at Terminal 3 takes 20 minutes).

Stay in the airport and deal with it. There's nothing of interest for you near Paddington anyway.
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That actually isn't a overly long connection at LHR. You likely will only have about 2 hours 'free time' and that is NOWHERE near time enough to leave the airport.

If one of your terminals is T-5, then it is a massive shopping mall w/ plenty of restaurants (even a Gordon Ramsey place). If one is T-3 . . . Well, just plan on walking miles and miles from/to gates (only a slight exaggeration.
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
No. Stay at the airport. London Heathrow is very entertaining. World-class people watching. Decent bars and restaurants and shopping. There's even places you can rent to have a shower between flights.
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:04 PM

Everyone is right. It can take 2 hours to get to your next flight and feel relaxed. Horrendous security lines, even transferring from one plane to another. And if you need to change terminals?
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

this really helps. thanks everyone!
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:15 PM

Sorry - no.

Leaving the airport at all is a real risk. This is a huge airport not near the city and I doubt you would be in central London before you have to turn around and return.

You haven't allowed time to get through Immigration and Customs, travel to central London, return from Central London, pick up your boarding pass, wait on the security line, trek through the terminal and get to the gate more than 30 minutes before departure (when many planes push back). And are you willing to haul your luggage around this whole time?
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:12 AM

If you'd like to get stuck in London and miss your flight you can go but you won't have enough time so don't risk anything. There's also the fact that in 1 hour you won't have time to see almost nothing. Try to plan a visit in London for another time and allow a few days to see it.